Chapter 11

The night had been long but Sylvie had learnt a lot. She was now sitting in an office deep in the main office buildings at the barracks. After the group had hatched their plan, they had led Sylvie to a derelict building just behind the barracks and she had stayed there in its basement for the day.

Concerns had been raised by the group of her involvement in the plan but Ansel had firmly told them that Sylvie was to be involved since it was her kill. She hadn’t liked the sound of that; she didn’t want to kill anyone, even though her vampire instincts were screaming with excitement at the thought.

A messenger had been sent to Hannah and Maverick telling them she was getting to stay at the barracks for a day so that Ansel and Sylvie could get properly acquainted over an evening meal. They wouldn’t be worried, Sylvie had been told that on the surface the island appeared carefree, newborns were always safe, but not Sylvie. This gave them about two hours to carry out the assassination and murder of Ralph and for Sylvie to get home and get to school on time.

As soon as dusk had fallen Ansel and Collie had collected her and smuggled her through the underground tunnels up into the safety of the office. Sylvie knew that as soon she heard the bell chime seven it was action time.

Collie was reclined on the large blue sofa that sprawled out in the middle of the office; she was tapping her feet to a silent tune. “You remember the plan, kid?”

“Yes,” Sylvie replied, hoping her voice didn’t give away her fear.

“I can smell it from you,” Collie said matter-of-factly. “That fear, it’s good. You’ll get Ralph really going. Just remember the plan and you’ll be fine.”

“I’m not so sure.” Sylvie bit at her nails and the sensation felt familiar.

“Kid, it’s now or never and if you pick never you’ll be meeting the sun,” Collie said, spinning a wooden stake between her fingers too comfortably for Sylvie’s liking. “There’s no point trying to make a shit situation smell good. It is what it is and we, you, have to stop it.” Sylvie swallowed her words and nodded. She could see the reason behind Collie’s words but it didn’t mean she liked them any better.

"I haven’t even had combat yet,” Sylvie admitted, her eyes were fixed on the clock. Soon she would have to leave the protection of the room. The sound of the second hand was vibrating in her head.

“I know but if the plan works that won’t matter.”

“And if it doesn’t?”

"Then think fast and hope you’ve got good instincts,” Collie laughed. She nodded towards the time and Sylvie felt her unbeating heart sink.

“Can’t he hear us down here?”

“Who?”

“Ralph,” Sylvie said. She had been afraid he’d break in and kill them before the plan had been put in to motion.

“He may be a good hunter but if he’s not close he can’t hear you. Sometimes that happens. Vampires can have a weaker sense, and luckily his is hearing,” Collie explained before the clock chimed, silencing the pair. “I’ve got your back.”

Sylvie nodded before she quietly turned the brass door handle and edged down the corridor. For a reason unknown her chest was heaving, and she prayed that it would stop. It reminded her of something but she couldn’t think now. She flexed her hands and feet as she stood leaning against another door. She thought of Rowan, of his handsome face, of him firing the gun, what would he think of her cowardice?

The handle of the door was cold. Sylvie pushed it open and with all her might slammed it shut again. Then she was running combing her hands over the walls, rubbing off her scent. Her finger caught a nail and a small red stream left a faint line behind her. More doors flew past as she raced around corners and down stairs.