Chapter 7-- Shopping for a Death Wish

Chapter 7

Soren was laying down on the couch and growing more impatient by the minute when he finally heard Shayla coming out of the bathroom. He started to sit up, but decided against it, just in case in was another false alarm. Not to mention he knew it would annoy her because his shoes were on the couch. He closed his eyes and gave a mental laugh at what he was doing to the poor girl. He truly enjoyed the reaction he got from her. She seemed so naive that he just couldn't help himself.

He heard the click-clack of heels on the wooden floor and opened his eyes with a rude comment on his tongue. But that's where it stayed when he saw the sight that awaited him. Shayla stood in the doorway with a hand on her hip. Her lips were pursed in annoyance as she looked as his feet on the arm of the couch.

That wasn't what caught his attention. The voluptuous curls that framed her face did. The way her eyes caught the light from the kitchen did. Her kissable lips, painted in red very much caught his attention. His eyes slid down to note the way the deep neckline of her black shirt outlined the curves of her breasts and the way her jeans hugged her legs. The tall black heels completed the outfit in a way that made his throat clench.

He struggled to regain his composure and gave her a slight nod of approval. Just as he opened his mouth to reply though, she cut him off.

"Alright, I'm ready. Can we go now?" She asked curtly and swayed her hips temptingly as she walked out the door without waiting for his answer.

He stared after her in a way that was inappropriate in every way. One thing he knew was that he couldn't let her seem him affected in this way. He had a duty and it did not include becoming attracted to his charge. His Coven Master was interested in her. Very interested. Why? No one was sure, but his interest didn't seem to be in her best interest. Questioning the Coven Master was not in anyone's best interest though, so his fellow coven members chose to think of themselves first.

)O(

The drive to Atlanta was quiet. Soren was pretty sure he wasn't quite able to talk to Shayla without stuttering, so he decided keeping his mouth shut was safer. The way she looked and how she was acting could have him spilling every secret he had before he even realized it. She stayed silent as well, until the moment the magic shop came into view.

It might look like just another old house to a non-magical citizen, but to the two of them the energy surrounding the house was almost palpable. To the supernatural community it shone with a light so bright it was like a beacon. It radiated warmth and safety.

"Soren, why does it feel so safe? I feel like I'm coming home." Shayla's brows were furrowed together in confusion as she turned to meet his gaze.

"It's neutral ground, Shay. All citizens are welcome and considered equal here." Soren answered her almost as if in a trance. His attention was on the house and the warmth it radiated across his skin. He began to pull into the parking lot as Shayla spoke up with another question.

"Are there other supernatural beings? Other than witches I mean?"

"Yes. As you know, there are witches, though some call us sorcerers. There are many different flavors of witch as well, but I'll tell you about that another time. There are also shifters, also called skin walkers by the Veneficus. Then there are the Nosferatu, though you'd know them as Vampires. Other than that there are a few ghosts, demons and some small groups of mermaids and sirens. I'll get a book on the different species in here, so you can read up on it."

Though he was being more helpful than usual, Shayla was still confused. She had no idea what the Veneficus was, and wondered if it would annoy him to ask.