Dreamer Chronicles : The Titan War

Chapter One

Blair stood frozen, the hands of time slowing everything around him. A heavy feeling had begun clouding his mind, somehow he knew this would break him. The front door creaked open, inviting him to go inside. He had the urge to turn and run away, but his legs wouldn't listen. A hunched figure knelt on the floor; her cries for help echoed in the silence of his home. Splashes of scarlet trickled down slowly on the beige colored walls and the arms of the woman.

"Mom," he uttered, his heart skipping a beat. His mother turned to him, her eyes were in a mixture of fear and sadness. Before he could say another word, his mother rushed towards him. Blair could feel the fear creeping up from his veins, rendering him paralyzed for that single moment.

His mother threw her thin arms around his neck, her hands shaking badly. He could feel her heavy breathing against his neck, her lips stuttering, unsure whether or not she had the strength to utter those words. "Daddy's dead."

Blair's eyebrows furrowed as he processed the words his mother just said. Daddy's dead, Daddy's dead, Daddy's dead, the words kept repeating inside his head, but Blair's ignorance kept him from believing his mother's words. He wanted to see it for himself and prove his mother wrong.

"No," he said and removed his mother's arms around his neck.

She tried to reached out for his hand, trying to stop him, but he swatted her hand away. He wanted to prove to his mother that his father was still alive, that he was just in his usual spot in the living room, listening to The Beatles. Blair's heart beat wildly against his chest with every step he took as he proceeded deeper and deeper to his home. His eyes were glued in front of him, avoiding those obvious marks of carnage. His mother's devastated sobs turned to silence as his heart begun to be shrouded by darkness and fear, but he never wanted to give in.

He stepped inside the living room, masking his fear with a forced smile, but what he tried to avoid thinking was all in vain. His knees buckled as the image of his father burned into his memory. He fell back to the floor, his jaw hung agape.

His father's body lay dead on the sofa, with layers of his skin mostly burnt to crisp, making him barely recognizable. His guts were spilling down from the stab wounds on his belly. Blair's stomach churned at the sight, his stomach urging him to throw his lunch out.

The shadows of death started to surround him, removing everything from his line of sight, with the exception of his dead father. 

"Blair," he heard someone say. He looked around, but all there was was darkness.

"Blair," the voice repeated. His father's hand started twitching, regaining control to its burnt body. Blair froze in fear as his father turned to him, with eyes seething in pain as tears drop into his naked flesh. His father gritted as he struggled to raise his arm to reach forward to Blair, then he uttered, "Save me."

Blair woke up with a start and found himself inside a car, with cold sweat dripping down his face. 

"Blair, are you alright?" Dave asked. He stood outside of the open car door, peering over to Blair who was still trying to collect himself.

"Yes," Blair replied, then heaved fresh air into his lungs. He took a paper towel from his bag and wiped his sweat off.

Dave scratched his head, clearly not satisfied with Blair's obvious lie, "Another nightmare?"

Blair sighed. This was one of the two things he didn't like about Dave; the first would be his bushy, dirty-looking, untrimmed beard, the second was his uncanny way of seeing through him, just like his father did when he was alive.