Old and New Scars

Argus dropped us off at the Greyhound Station in Manhattan. Once he unloaded our bags, gave us our bus tickets, and wished us all good luck, he left us on our own.

As we walked down the street, I noticed a mailbox with a picture of Percy and a woman who was around the age of 39. I reached out to pull it off, when Percy raced in front of me and tore it down, crumpling it up and tossing it angrily into the trash.

"That's your mom, huh?" I sighed and put a hand on Percy's shoulder, looking around. "You lived near here-didn't you?"

Percy nodded with a grim smile and pointed down the street. "If we were to go down this street and take a right, my old apartment is right there. On a normal day, my mom would be at the candy store right now. Smelly Gabe is probably up there-right now-playing poker, not even missing her."

Sighing, I just shook my head. "I don't know. Not to sound harsh, but it is probably best not to dwell on that right now. We will get your mother back Percy."

Percy's face remained emotionless. "You are right."

Annabeth and Grover told us that they were going to go buy the bus tickets, I coughed over ten dollars for mine-not wanting them to chip in for me-I was on my own mission. "Look Waterboy, I know what you are thinking."

"Oh?" He frowned with a smug smile. "Do you?"

"Hell yeah. You don't give a shit about saving the world, or Zeus's lightning bolt, or even helping your Father. The only thing you are focused on is your mother. And I don't blame you. Personally, I couldn't give a damn either. I have my own personal reasons for participating in this quest."

Percy rose a brow and crossed his arms over his chest. "I feel like I'm at a disadvantage-you know so much about me, but I know nothing about you. So tell me, what is your personal issue?"

Smirking, I shrugged. "For you to find out I guess."

"Come on you to-the bus is already here." Grover nodded towards the platform and hobbled on his fake crutches up the steps.

"You know, we could just get you a wheelchair-it would be easier for you to get around." I sniggered and Percy laughed with a nod.

Grover rolled his eyes. "Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need these crutches-remember, they are just a facade." Grover's smile vanished as we loaded the bus. Lifting his nose to the air, he sniffed around and frowned.

"What is it, Grover?" Percy frowned as we made our way to the back.

Grover shook his head. "It could be nothing." But then I felt it too. My hunting senses tingled and I felt like I had crossed paths with this feeling before. It was dark.

Annabeth sat me in between her and Percy-not wanting to sit next to him. and nervously looked around, unsure of herself. I refused to stow my backpack-knowing that it was not safe, so I kept it in my lap.

And then I saw it. Her. Of course. She walked on to the bus with two other ladies who could be her triplets. She wore a floppy green hat to cover her face, but I knew it was her, the creepy Apple store Lady/Fury. The one who I owed the scar on my right cheek. It never had fully disappeared, but became a defined pink mark that told how I survived.

Maybe I'd have to return the favor.

The three of them sat down in the front row behind the bus driver. The two on the aisle crossed their legs over the walkway, making an X. It was casual enough, but it sent a clear message: nobody leaves.

Percy growled and cursed under his breath. "She didn't stay dead long." He whispered.

"You recognize one of them too?" I frowned.