Fate Reloaded--Chapter One

Start from the beginning

            “All I’m saying is that I’d die if I had to eat like a rabbit,” Sara said, taking another handful of chips and then passing them around to the others.

            Jordana just shrugged as she sat down on the edge of an armchair.

            Once again, Jordana and her friends had ended up back at her place after school let out. Sara and Melina lived a few miles away from school and Kaleigh and Desi’s moms were always home after school, so the group often congregated at Jordana’s house since her parents were never home until dinner time and she lived just a few blocks away from the high school. She didn’t really mind much—after all, they were her friends.

            Jordana started to laugh as she watched her best friend Desi jump up onto the coffee table and start to shake her butt to the rump shaker song that had just come on the radio. “I love booty music,” Desi screamed above the noise.

            “That’s because you’ve got enough booty to shake around,” Sara offered from her place on the couch.

            Desi turned her back on Sara and shook her butt in her direction. “Then you should really love this kind of music,” Desi said, looking back at Sara with a smirk.

            “You did NOT just say that,” Sara said, her mouth hanging open in mock shock. Then, jumping up from the couch, Sara walked over to the full-length mirror in the far corner of the room and checked out her derriere. “I so do not have a big butt!”

            “Whatever, Sara,” Desi said, still dancing on the coffee table. She looked over at Jordana and winked at her and then motioned for her to join her onstage. Jordana took another bite of her banana and then jumped up onto the table beside her friend. Using the banana as a fake mic, Jordana began to recite the words of the song, as if she were the rapper on the radio and jokingly smacked at Desi’s butt.

            When the song ended, they all collapsed, giggling and Jordana turned the music down a bit.

            “So, what’s the deal with tomorrow?” Kaleigh said to no one in particular. She was busy painting Melina’s fingernails a shade of red called “Vampy” and didn’t bother looking up as she addressed the room. “It’s Friday and so far, we’ve got no plans.”

            “Well, I heard in first period today that Eddie Moon is having a party,” Melina suggested.

            Sara snorted. “Yeah, right. You know he’ll get a keg and it’ll be empty before anyone even gets there,” she said. “Besides, do we really want to hang around a bunch of drunken, loser underclassmen?”

            They all shook their heads in agreement and were again quiet as they each thought of other suggestions.

            “We could go to the movies,” Desi said finally. “That new Vince Vaughn movie’s playing and I heard it’s freaking hilarious.”

            This time Kaleigh looked up to chime in. “Already saw it last weekend,” she said. “How about that new horror flick. What’s-it-called? Like, Blood, Guts and Fears, or something like that?”

            “Yeah, and then we could invite the guys, and like, grab onto them during the scary parts,” said Melina excitedly. “I’ve been waiting for the chance to get my hands on Noe Valentine.” She sighed dramatically and then fell backward onto the floor as if fainting.

            “Okay Lindsay Lohan, enough with the dramatics,” Sara said, rolling her eyes.

But after a pause, a smile spread across Sara’s face. Jordana couldn’t help but think that she looked eerily similar to the Grinch that stole Christmas, right at the moment when he decides to steal all the presents from the Whos down in Whoville.