Prologue

Dedicated to Maya_2011, my editor extraordinaire. Check out her stories! They're awesome and she just started a new one!

 ---

Deep down I knew what was wrong with me.

It wasn't because I was overstressed and raising triplets without much help from their busy father. It wasn't because exercising was getting to be too much for me to do every day.

No, I knew what was going on with my body. It hadn't been that long ago that I was pregnant. I knew all of the symptoms.

My hearing and smelling senses had gotten sharper. The random nausea only solidified my theory.

I called Finn, my children's grandfather, and ruler of all packs on the continent. If they were safe with anyone, they were safe with him. I offered him an afternoon of babysitting. He took the offer just as quickly as I thought he would. It wasn't often that I let my children out of my sight, but Finn was someone I trusted.

I needed a few hours to get results and to cope with them.

Not thirty minutes after hanging up the phone was there a knock at the door. I knew it was Finn. No one I didn't know got close to this house without being stopped by the guarding werewolves. Whenever Mikko was gone on a job, this house was guarded.

My triplets were the children of a werewolf with many enemies, enemies who would leap at the chance to get their claws into them.

Finn didn't knock loudly before he welcomed himself into the house. He didn't have to. I had heard his car from down the drive. The triplets were ready for an afternoon with their grandfather.

I smiled when I came out of the nursery. The three babies were playing on the ground with an obscene amount of toys littering the ground.

"You're here quicker than I thought you'd be."

Finn smiled and offered a hug. "I'm anxious to spend some alone time with them."

I grabbed my purse and nervously tucked my hair behind my ear. "So, I'll be back in a few hours, definitely before dinner."

Finn walked past me to go to the nursery. I didn't miss it when his eyes scanned over me, looking for any indication that something might be wrong with me. "You okay?" Werewolves were notorious for being very overprotective… and nosey.

I felt the panic run through me. I didn't want Finn to figure this out before I even had results. "I'm fine. I just need a few hours." There was no hiding my nervousness from a werewolf who knew about everything.

Finn nodded once, but that didn't mean he believed me. "Don't rush. We'll be here when you get back."

I grabbed my purse and fished out the car keys to Mikko's sports car then I was out the door. I opted to leave my SUV in case Finn needed to take my babies somewhere.

When I wasn't with the babies, I could go places without any of the werewolves following me around. I needed peace and time away from the werewolf pack. I was still human and wanted to act like one sometimes.

I drove an hour away from my home to make sure that I wouldn't be running into any of the wolves that knew who I was. If any of them knew that I was buying a pregnancy test, the rumors would spread like wildfire. I didn't want that rumor to get to Mikko.

I really didn't want to have another child with Mikko.

Having another child wasn't even a thought after I had the triplets. Having another child wouldn't be convenient. It would push back plans that were supposed to happen when Mikko returned. I was supposed to go through the process of the Change two months ago, but other things got in the way, pushing back the plans of my Change.