Chapter 25~ awkward

JM Chapter 27

I kept my eyes on the floor unable to look Jason in the eyes because I knew that would make me start to cry.

When he said that, I felt a change in the air. The lump in my throat grew bigger as I thought about it. His arms around me, his sweet comforting voice, and the spark I felt when his lips touched mine and the feeling of him with me was all washed away. I would never be able to feel his hot breath ticking my ear and the warm embrace he radiated.

It's over, I thought. Whatever hope I had a few minutes ago was crushed by those three words.

They were harsh, but true.

I could feel Leo and Johnson's eyes on me as I stayed silent, trying to control my breathing.

"Umm... So I'll go and drink those beers." Leo said awkwardly.

"Not even saying hi? Bro I haven't seen you in ages!" Jason exclaimed in a low but threatening voice he undoubtedly heard Leo before.

I felt miles and miles away.

"I know right?" Since when? T-that dude named Pornack was killed was the last time I saw you." Leo replied with a gulp.

"Yeah, I miss those days, I'd give anything just to go back and do the old school stuff." When Jason said that, it wasn't just me who knew that it was directed at me.

Johnson cleared his throat and then walked off. Being the nervous kid that Leo was, he followed him and they sat down on opposite sofas.

I couldn't help just standing there so I sat down in the only sofa that had an extra seat. I didn't want to sit in Jason's usual spot and Johnson was sitting in a single armchair so I sat next to Leo.

It was slightly comforting for the three of us but when Jason came and sat down, legs perched up on the coffee table and eyes scanning the T.V as he flicked through the channels somehow made it feel really cold and not just a little awkward, a lot.

Leo had the box on his lap and his back was straightened as Jason directed a question at him. "Been to Due's lately?" He probably didn't mean it to come out so demanding but a shiver ran down my spine.

"W-what?" Leo stuttered.

"Due's- you know? The big guy who owns that bar down at Seventh's street?" Jason removed his legs from the coffee table and arched an eyebrow.

"No sir." That's what I thought Leo was going to say by the grip he had on the box and the way his lips twitched before he said something. All that came out was a hushed voice answering, "No."

"I went yesterday. Your brother been doing that stuff again."

Leo flinched. "Sorry."

"I meant he's been helping out..." Jason's other eyebrow rose.

"Oh." Leo's cheeks slightly tinted colour. Jason, for some reason, found it amusing.

It went quiet again except for Jason's chuckles. For some reason, I caught on that they sounded empty and lifeless like my hair.

I fiddled with my fingers, trying to make myself seem extremely interested in my fingers.

"Jason, I uh heard Logan's back from his trip to Italy." Johnson spoke up after a while of everyone staring in different directions.

"Logan huh..." Jason seemed a little occupied in his thoughts for a moment. "Far out, he pisses me off when he goes on holidays. Comes back and tells me how much he pumps and dumps. He's going to get pissed at me when he finds out I've pumped more."

My breath caught up in my throat. I felt a cough escape me. My eyes stung with threatening tears but I swallowed them back. I can't believe he said that.

No one could believe he said that since they all turned their eyes on me except Jason, who leaned back into his armchair lazily.

I didn't know what to do, so I just stared down at my fingers and fumbled with a loose string.

"Uh Leo does that." Johnson tried to get the attention from me. Thank you so much Johnson.

"When do I do that?" Leo asked confused. He looked way more comfortable than he was a few seconds ago.

"You think its fun to get with a girl who's already taken!" Johnson exclaimed with a laugh.

"Yeah well it's called being a rebel." Leo winked at Johnson but then he looked at Jason and me. He gasped. "That's why Tyler wanted you right."

I froze my eyes on the floor. I could hear my heart beating in my ears and the lump in my throat grew as the tears in my eyes formed in my eyes again dangerously.

"Especially since you and Jason- oh..." Leo shut up after Johnson silenced him with a glare.

I looked up to stare ahead of me at the wall and from the corner of my eyes, I saw Jason's hands clench into fists and his jaw tightened.

I took in deep breaths as Johnson and Leo looked at me, worried that I might breakdown but I dug my fingernails into the palm of my hands to not let the tears spill and it worked, it just took a while.

It was so quiet that we could hear a car pass.

Or even park. We heard a few clunks of a car door slamming and an engine dying.

Then there was tapping of footsteps and someone knocked on the door.

Jason got up, still staring at the floor, still in a tensed form and walked off to open the door.

At first I thought he walked off without opening the door but I heard the creak of the front door swinging open and heard foot-steps of high-heels.

I heard a familiar laugh and someone breathed in. I looked into the window opposite me and I saw the reflection.

It was Scarlet and she was walking towards us with her finger in the loop of his jeans.

********************************************************************************************************

hey guys,

thanks for reading,

i hope you liked it,

please comment and vote,

i would love to hear your opinion

27 votes for next chapter

xoxoxox <3