Chp. 11

my excuse for being so late?

writer's block. :P sucks doesn't it? well... i'm writing this with it only partially cured... and it's 3 am...

oh, and the song? it's my new favorite and it fits me PERFECTLY. and i thought it sort of described kaelyn's feelings fairly well ;) and i just love it. ha.

the artist who did the beautiful pic on the side is z1xwitch from deviantart :) fantastic, isn't it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                     =11=

=Kaelyn=

          Dawn had just started to break over the horizon as we finally found our way out of the twisting tunnels of the cliff caves. I was feeling extremely exhausted and worn out from last night's escape. I definitely needed a rest.

          The forest provided a cool shade from the rising sun, which hadn't really produced any major heat yet. I felt myself longing for the warm rays. After wandering around in those dank caves, I felt a little chilled. Besides the fact that we were leaving natural stone walls and entering into a lush green forest, there didn't seem to be much difference between the two areas. Both were cold.

          "Well horse," Philip said wearily as he led us into the woods, "Welcome to the Dark Woods."

          I snorted and rolled my eyes. "Horse?" Did he really just call me "horse?" How unoriginal. I butted my head into his back, pushing him forward a few steps to express my annoyance. The prince glanced back in surprise. Oops, maybe I overstepped my boundaries again. After all he was my prince.

          "What was that for?" He asked raising his eyebrow.

          What do you think that was for, you called me "horse" like it was my name!

          And of course he can't understand me. I huffed quietly and resumed walking.

          The prince sort of shrugged his shoulders and joined me in heading into the Dark Woods. I actually got to see him in a better light now, I feel like I haven't had a good look at him for awhile. While we were riding towards Carter's Bay, I never really did get to catch many glimpses of him. But now, here he was right in front of me in broad daylight. I had him all to myself.

          My heart leapt at the thought.

          His once short black hair had now grown a bit longer, and had a slightly shaggy look to it. Piercing dark brown eyes glanced at me occasionally as we hiked into the Dark Woods. His face seemed thinner, and was covered with a lot of facial scruff. But he no longer had the stooped and wearied appearance he had taken to wearing while we had been taken hostage. Now his step carried a little strength to it, his back straightened with newfound hope.

          But he did have a bit of a smell. Ok, maybe a lot. I couldn't blame him though, he had been denied a decent bath for days. I simply ignored the slight stench. Hopefully we could find a nearby stream or river he could wash in.

          The dark green leafy branches overhead slowly became thicker and blocked out more and more sunlight. The air around us seemed cold and still. I nickered nervously. These woods didn't feel quite right. Something about them felt... off.

          Maybe this is why this place is called the Dark Woods.

          A comforting hand petted my quivering neck. I found myself gazing at the prince who had turned around completely to pat away my uneasiness and to soothe my nerves.