Chapter Five: Homecoming, pt. 1

5

HOMECOMING

There was a mix of emotions radiating toward me from the elders. All of them were relieved to see me, though many of them tried to mask it.

  Lizzie, Sarah, and Hannah were glad, happy and eager to hear my stories. Lizzie and I had always had a good relationship, and though I didn't know Sarah and Hannah quite as well, I knew Lizzie was close to them among the elders, so I trusted that they were good. If I had any allies here, it was these three.

  Ten of them-Thomas, Jane, Rebecca, Andrew, the sisters Catherine and Mary, Joseph, Anne, James, and young William-were ambivalent, unsure whether my return was a relief or an outrage, or if forgiveness was possible, though they were unwilling to hold grudges that God would want them to pardon.

  Two-Andrew and Lizzie-radiated parental love out toward me. They were the only ones. I was grateful to them both. I was pleasantly surprised to feel these things from Andrew. Perhaps he would be an ally, too.

  Only one, John, had hatred directed at me. It was so strong that it was clear he wanted to make sure I felt it.

  I was moving slowly, focusing my attention on them one at a time to make sure I knew who was feeling what. As I got closer, the humming in my head picked up with every step. It was different from what I usually heard, though. If the humming I heard from humans was like a diatonic scale on the piano, this sound was like someone screaming a pentatonic scale in my ear-it was foreign.

  As I got close, unspoken words hit me all at once.

  Clear as day, a voice screamed in my head. Terrible ingrate. Of course she came crawling back. Even the humans wouldn't put up with such a traitor, such scum.

  Why couldn't you have dressed properly? another voice pressed.

  Say something! a third voice said.

  Just apologize. Apologize and never speak of it again, and our life will return to peace! another said.

  I never thought I was going to see you, again. Praise God, came from the softest, sweetest of them.

  I was able to hear all fourteen voices, the same ancient voices I had always known. It was like at the wedding when twice I heard Cole speak to me when he had never even opened his mouth. But this was clearer still. I scanned the line of faces, glancing at each. No one's lips moved. I was actually hearing what they were thinking. I was reading their minds.

  I smiled in spite of myself. This did not help John's sentiments. That little bitch is smiling? he screamed in his head. I didn't know he knew words like that.

  I was standing slightly downhill from all of them, but I was so intrigued by being able to hear their thoughts that I had completely forgotten my fear, even with all their eyes staring down at me.