Understandable

Needless to say, Tobias was far from happy with me, or anyone for that matter. We had all made our decision and he hadn’t said one word. If only it could stay that way, but I knew it wouldn’t happen. Pretty much everyone had went to do their own thing, leaving just me, Tobias and Dakkone. They weren’t so much as looking at each other, which was probably a good thing. The last thing I needed right now was them fighting, again. “I’m gonna go grab something to eat. Anyone want anything?” I asked, standing from my seat.

“You’re not going anywhere by yourself,” Tobias answered, receiving a glare from me.

“I’ll be fine. I’ve made it this far,” I argued.

“Yea, but not on your own. If not for Dustin finding you who knows what would’ve happened. And you weren’t even anywhere near where they were looking for you,” he protested.

“I’ll go with her.”

We both looked over at the source of the voice; Dakkone. I had almost forgotten he was there, and kind of wondered why. Zyten had gone off to do whatever it was he wanted to, and Sathe was running the club. From what I could tell Sathe and Dakkone were kind of close so I couldn’t figure out why he hadn’t went with her. If anything he would have at least left the room, seeing as Tobias was still here. “I’ll be damned if I’m letting her go running around with a demon,” Tobias snapped.

It was pretty easy to see that Dakkone found this a bit amusing as he stood up, his gaze landing on Tobias. “Not sure if you’ve noticed, but she’s been running around with demons for a while now,” he replied, not bothered by my brother’s glare.

“Yea, and that was before I got here. I don’t trust you as far as I could throw you so I’m not about to let you go with my sister.”

This time it was me who gave him a glare. “I don’t care if you trust him or not, I do. Stop treating me like some little kid who can’t do everything. Yea, I understand you thought I was dead and all, but I’m not some little girl who needs protecting. Start acting like my brother and stop acting like my father,” I said, the look of displeasure clearly written on Tobias’ face. “C’mon, Dakkone. Let’s go.”

And with that I turned and walked out of the room, Dakkone following me. Surprisingly Tobias didn’t even try and follow. We went out the back way so as not to deal with the crowd outside trying to get into the club and headed down the street. It was silent for a few moments before Dakkone finally spoke. “So, he’d your brother, huh?”

His voice had a tinge of amusement in it, and I only then realized I had left that part out with everyone. Oops. “Uh, yea. Guess I kinda forgot to tell you,” I replied.

“It’s fine. Explains a lot about why he’d so protective of you,” he said, growing silent for a few second. “You do realize there’s a very good chance you won’t walk away from this, right?”

I nodded, knowing exactly what he was talking about. “I know, and to be completely honest I’m not sure I really expect to. I can’t even control the powers I have and I’m going to be dealing with the devil. Not exactly very good odds, but I have to. Xavier risked his life to save me, I have to at least try and help.”

“What if he doesn’t want you to come after him?” he asked, and I stopped, looking over at him as if he’d just tried to tell me the world was flat. “He risked his life to save you, who’s to say he wants you to come after him? He knows more than anyone what they’re capable of, and I’m sure he knows you’re no match. If you die trying to save him he may blame himself and never be able to forgive.”

I knew what he was saying, and had thought about it myself before. But no matter how much I actually believe that, I couldn’t just turn my back on him. Sure, maybe I could learn to control my powers and actually stand a chance but that would take too long. And by the time I did that he could be dead. If he died I’d be the one blaming myself and not able to forgive. It was looking more and more like a lose-lose situation, and I hated it. “I guess we’ll just have to see what happens,” I stated and started walking again.

Apparently he understood because he didn’t say anything else about it. We walked in silence until we found ourselves in front of a McDonalds, which didn’t seem to be all that busy at the moment. Walking in Dakkone stood in line and I excused myself to the ladies room. After splashing water on my face and drying it off I stared at myself in  the mirror, the image of the little girl from my dreams staring back at me. Shaking my head I looked again and found someone else staring at me this time. She had the same blonde hair and blue eyes that I did, but she was older. There was a smile on her face, like one a mother would give to her child.

A mother. Somehow I knew I was looking at my own mother, but I didn’t really understand how. My mother, my real, angel mother was dead, so she couldn’t be staring back at me. Or maybe she could. Just a few days ago I didn’t think angels even existed, but now I knew I was one. So now anything was possible, I guessed. Even my dead mother looking back at me in the mirror.