When I looked at the clock I realised it was already seven thirty a.m. Crap. I’m going to be late on my very first day at this place. What a lovely first impression, right? I know. I grabbed my bag and rushed out of the door and to my car. I hopped inside and sped off in the direction of the school.

Once I reached the school, I was racing to get out of the car and get all of my things. Whilst I was hurrying get my belongings together, someone came up behind me and held their hands tight on my waist.

“Turn around,” he whispered huskily into my ear.

The words leaving his mouth sent shivers down my spine.

“What’s your name, love?” his deep voice questioned.

“J-Jade,” I stuttered. Gosh, I sound completely clueless… Well, I am.

“Whatcha got there, mate? A new pet?” a boy chuckled from behind my captor.

He spun round, letting go of my waist. I quickly collected myself and ridded any thoughts from my mind. As I readjusted the strap of my shoulder-bag, I turned and sprinted across the pavement.

“She’s getting away,” another voice said as I made my way to the opposing sidewalk.

“Don’t worry, she’ll be back,” the one voice that I actually recognised said in an almost taunting tone.

Now why would I go back to… them? Exactly, I wouldn’t. I don’t know what he was talking about. There was no way I was going “back” to him unless my life depended upon it.

As I made my way into the school building, I realised that I had no idea where the heck the office was in this school. Maybe I should’ve asked- uh, never mind. They probably wouldn’t have told me anyway. If I spoke a word to them I don’t even know that I would have gotten away as easily as I did. What if they kept me held hostage or something?

No, stop that, Jade. What are you, mental? No, I’m not. Well, now you’re talking to yourself so… You know what? Shut up mind! I’m just – Zip it!

Okay, I seriously think I’m going crazy. Stupid boy getting into my head, hah. I’m not letting that happen again.

“Excuse me, Miss. Are you looking for something? Why aren’t you in class?” a woman in her fifties asked coming round the corner of the hall. Her eyes bored into me in an annoyed way. Jeez, can I screw up anyone else’s life? Sheesh, people these days!

“Um... I was actually looking for the office,” I answered quietly. She looked at me in disbelief. “I, uh, I’m new here.”

“In the middle of the school year?” she asked shocked.

“Yes...”

“You must be Jade Simmons. Welcome to Wilmslow High School!” she exclaimed all-of-the-sudden cheerily. “Sorry for my automatic presumption, it’s just that-“

“No, no, you’re fine, Mrs...?”

“Mrs. Campbell.”

I nodded. “Could you direct me toward the main office? I need to pick up my schedule.”

“Sure thing, Miss Simmons.”

* * *

As I looked down at the crisp piece of white paper -- still warm from the printer -- known as my schedule, I gulped. Thing is, I have no idea where any of my classes are. What am I supposed to do, be late to every single one? I mean, it’s not like I know anyone who can show me where all of the classes are. I’m like fresh meat in a giant shark tank; no one’s going to want to hang out with me. Even those boys this morning, it was all just a game.