Chapter 1: Falling For Yarn

"Ikuto what should we do?" Yoru asked me as we jumped from rooftop to rooftop.

      I shrugged and looked up at the sky, taking one hand out of my pocket to shield my eyes from the sun. "We could visit Utau" I suggested with my eyes trained on a cloud that looked like yarn. My tail began twitching and my ears got perky and straight ready to play with the enticing thread.

      Letting out a big dramatic sigh Yoru started pouting and said, "Come on Ikuto! She's crazy! Do we gotta!?"

      Laughing slightly I looked away from the cloud and to Yoru, "No. But we do need something to-" And that's when I saw a big store with the softest looking yarn on display in the window I had ever seen! Hurriedly I rushed to the edge of the roof and my tail and ears disappeared before I landed on the ground gracefully causing a car to swerve and some guy to yell at me. I didn't particularly care and I walked inside without further interruption. Upon entering two bells tied together with red ribbon jingled.

      "May I help you?" An elderly woman asked from behind a check-out counter in the center of the room where she was sitting on a simple stool and reading a home owner magazine. She had salt and pepper colored hair tied up in a tight bun, gray-tinted skin and sharp lavender eyes behind lowly hung glasses. She wore a simple white dress with a white jacket that looked homemade.

      "Yes. How much for the yarn?" I asked pointing to the display window.

      "¥900," she replied absentmindedly looking at her book.

      Looking in my pocket I pulled out the change and went over and handed it to her.

      "Come again," she said after counting the yen and motioning me to go.

      Walking over to the window I took some multicolored thread and left the store happily.

      "Ikuto! Are we gonna play huh huh!?" Yoru asked circling me excitedly as I turned the ball of yarn in a circle in my hands.

      Nodding I looked down the streets a little until I spotted Amu's window. Putting the yarn in one of my black jean's pockets I began walking over to Amu's house. Once there I jumped up grabbing the bottom of the little metal balcony and pulled myself inside with Yoru right behind me. Sadly however the glass door was locked, so instead of getting in easily as I'd like to, I had to pick the lock to get it open. Better than Yoru's plan to break the door and tell Amu the cat did it. (Did Amu have a cat? I don't think so...)

      "Let's play Ikuto!" Yoru said jumping up in down in the air excitedly.

      I took the yarn out and my tail and ears grew from excitement. And before I knew it Yoru and I were fighting over yarn so intently that I didn't even hear the door shut.

      "I-IKUTO! What are you-" she the paused when she saw Yoru and I all tangled up in the yarn.

      Looking at Yoru and me I found that we looked like the yarn had sprung to life and tried to eat us kinda like vines with colorful mouths. But before I could say anything Ran, Miki, Su, and Dia busted out laughing.

      "...The yarn was colorful... and I am a cat you know..." I said looking up at Amu.

      She looked at me, then at Yoru, then at me again and started laughing.

      "Ikuto... she's laughing at you..." Yoru said as he swayed back and forth in the air a little worriedly.

      Sighing I leaned my body onto my right knee and looked at Amu slyly. "Are you going to laugh all day, princess?" I asked with a slight smile.

      As her laughing ceased she looked away as a slight blush crept onto her face. "Just clean this up... I have to get changed anyway..." And with that she hurriedly left the room and slammed the door behind her.  

      Once I was sure she was gone I burst into laughter with Yoru. "Stupid Amu." Yoru said between laughs.

      "So, I suppose we should clean up." I said looking again at the nice mess of yarn. Sighing I gathered it into a pile, went out onto the balcony, and dropped it. "That takes care of that." I said boredly. "I wonder if Amu is ready yet..." I added as I closed the door.

      "No. I'm sorry, I can't. Tadase-kun, I'm really sorry... Can you get Rima to? Ok, sorry. Yeah see you tomorrow bye." I heard Amu say into her cell phone before coming out of the bathroom in some casual looking jeans, black flip flops, and a black shirt with blue sleeves that hung under her shoulders.

      "Little prince need you tonight?" I asked leaning against the door frame with my arms crossed and a slow smile making its way onto my face.

      "No, its nothing. Ready to go?" she asked looking up at me expectantly.

      "Sure." I replied pushing myself off the door and heading to the balcony.

      Grabbing the color of my jacket she pulled me back. "Stairs. Last time you had me jump I almost landed face first into the concrete."

      Laughing slightly as I remembered Amu freaking out last time, I shrugged and said, "Sure. If you want."

      As we were leaving the house Amu tripped over the yarn I had tossed out the window and hurriedly grabbed onto my arm for support. Using my other arm I wrapped it around her waist and pulled her to me. "You okay?"

     "What... uh yeah... thank y- Huh!?" She stated pushing me away as she blushed madly at how I was holding her.

      Yoru and I laughed at her and I knew this date was going to be interesting.