Chapter Twenty

How could I have been so stupid? I couldn't have feelings for him. He would just end up hating me. Who would want to go out with some one who couldn't touch them, couldn't show any affection whatsoever?

But then it was different with Alex. He could hold me and hug me and I didn't even flinch. Surely that could progress into more, maybe even to other people. I could imagine my parents faces if I hugged them on my own accord. They would be so happy.

The next day, I managed to shuffle down the stairs and collapse on the sofa after doing my make up. Laying face down, I heard my parents approaching.

"Scarlett? How are you feeling?" My mum sounded so cautious. I wasn't going to attack her or anything.

"Fine." I answered, turning over and looking up at them. They looked at each other before my mother spoke again.

"Well we have some exciting news. Your father has got a new job teaching in a primary school." A smile lit up my face.

"That's great! Well done dad! I'm so happy for you!" I exclaimed, wrapping my arms around his neck hesitantly. I fought the urge to shudder as he stayed longer then I intended and pulled away quickly. He gave me a thankful smile but my mothers face looked almost sulky.

"I start today. I'm a bit nervous but hopefully I'll do a good job." He looked nervous and I smiled.

"You'll do great dad." He gave me a wave and left.

"Bye honey." My mother called after him before turning to him. "Bye Scarlett." She walked out of the room and I heard the front door shut. Sighing, I switched on the television and let it settle on a music channel. It didn't play the charts, it played more alternative music and I let the mind numbing music fill my head as I drifted to sleep.

(Dream)

"Scarwett, why's it so cold?" Maddy asked, tugging at my tattered dress. She was still so naïve to everything. I wished I was.

"It's because it's winter." I answered, staring at the door. It was going to open soon, I just didn't know when.

"Why don't we have bwankets then?" She looked up at me as I racked my brains for an answer.

"It's an endurance test." I said suddenly. "They're trying to see if we're weak or strong. So if you don't complain you might get to see your parents again." Her face lit up and I felt bad for giving her false hope. But it was better than telling her the truth. I could just imagine how her face would crumple if I told her we had been captured and would never leave. Not until we died. A tear rolled down my cheek and I brushed it away before Maddy saw it.

The door swung open and He stumbled in. I stood up quickly, wincing as my ankle jolted and pushed Maddy softly behind me. "Hewo wittle kiddiewinks." He slurred, snorting at his last comment. "Are you having fun?" He managed to make his way over to me and rest his hand on my shoulder.

"No." I pulled myself out of his grip and stepped backwards.

"Bitch." he muttered. "Ooh is that your child? Are you a little slut my young girl. I bet your mother disowned you. What are you: seven? Two? Three hundred and thirty three?" He snorted again and began laughing at his own bad joke.

"You're drunk. Just go away." I said bravely, unsure where this was all coming from. His face turned angry and I took a step back.

"Don't tell me what to do you little whore! I'll kill you! Then you won't be happy!" He screamed, advancing towards me. I turned to Maddy.

"Hide." I said quietly and she nodded, crawling off behind the boxes. I turned back to face him as his fist was flung into my eye. A groan escaped my lips as my ankle twisted and I stumbled forward in a desperate effort to stop myself from falling. I was met with his knee in my face and I fell back, hitting the floor with a loud slap. Groaning, I tried to pull myself up. I was knocked back down again before I could even get to my knees. As the hits continued, I found my mind wondering. What would it have been like if I didn't run off all those months ago? Would I be happy? Would I have remained a stupid, naïve little 10 year old? A kick to my head made me black out.

(Present)

I screamed as I bolted upright on the sofa, shaking and sobbing dramatically. At least I had managed to sleep all day. I heard a key in the lock and lay back down pretending to sleep, assuming it was one of my parents.

"Where would she be? Her room maybe?" I frowned. That was Peeta's voice.

"She's in here." I heard Alex say quietly. "I think she's asleep." I heard them both walk across the room.

"No I'm not." I sat up, making Alex jump. "Calm down Alex. It's just me." He rolled his eyes as Peeta giggled.

"Oh shush. How are you?" he asked. I shrugged. "What happened in your dream?" I looked up at him.

"How did you know.."

"Some of your make up is slightly smudged at the edges, and your is a bit messy. There are tear tracks running down your face and you still have tears in your eyes. You don't let your make up smudge ever, and you're crying. I'm guessing you dreamed about Him." I nodded. Peeta cleared her throat.

"Umm... sorry to ruin the moment but what are you talking about?" She asked. My eyes widened. I hadn't told her.

"You should know..." I said, shifting on the sofa so Alex could sit next to me.

"You don't have to tell me...." she trailed but I shook my head.

"Story time Peeta. Enjoy."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you like it. Please vote, comment, fan, everything else. One vote and I'll write again. I fail at this don't I?

Oh well. Song of the day: Jealous, Don't you know by The Heartbreaks. Amazing band. They need more credit and I've seen them live :)

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

LIKE

TWEET

RICOCHET

:P