Novelas Cortas

NOVELAS CORTAS ***

Produced by Stan Goodman, Miranda van de Heijning, Renald Levesque and the Online Distributed Proofreading Team.

[Illustration: From a photograph]

NOVELAS CORTAS

BY

DON PEDRO A. DE ALARCÓN MEMBER OF THE SPANISH ACADEMY

EDITED WITH NOTES AND VOCABULARY

BY

W.F. GIESE, A.M. ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF ROMANCE LANGUAGES IN THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN

GINN AND COMPANY BOSTON-NEW YORK-CHICAGO-LONDON ATLANTA-DALLAS-COLUMBUS-SAN FRANCISCO

PREFACE

The following stories from Alarcón are offered to the student of Spanish in the belief that the easy style, the interest of the narrative, and the incidental sidelights that they throw on Spanish life and history will make the book a welcome one in the earlier stages of study.

The stories have been very fully annotated, and nothing that seemed to offer any real difficulty has been passed over. All proper names have been explained, with the exception of a few too well known or too insignificant to justify comment. The notes are further reënforced by an _Idiomatic Commentary_, to be studied in connection with the text. By frequent reviews and by oral drill in translating the idioms from either language to the other, with changes of person, tense, etc., wherever possible, the Commentary should enable the student to attain to a real mastery of the idioms that are here tabulated.

Easy exercises for translation into Spanish are added. They are based on very short passages from the text, and are so graded and arranged as to afford a systematic review of the elements of grammar, a drill which beginners always need.

The vocabulary, while registering all the words in the text, except such as are nearly or quite identical, does not aim at giving, without any labor of adaptation on the part of the student, the precise equivalent required.

The stories are complete, except for a few trifling omissions dictated by class-room proprieties.

Acknowledgment is gratefully made for a number of welcome suggestions due to my esteemed colleague Mr. A.R. Seymour.

CONTENTS

PREFACE V

LA BUENAVENTURA 1

LA CORNETA DE LLAVES 14

LAS DOS GLORIAS 26

EL AFRANCESADO 33

¡VIVA EL PAPA! 43

EL EXTRANJERO 55

EL LIBRO TALONARIO 67

MOROS Y CRISTIANOS 76

EL AÑO EN SPITZBERG 111

IDIOMATIC COMMENTARY 131

NOTES 143

EXERCISES FOR TRANSLATION INTO SPANISH 173

VOCABULARY 183

NOVELAS CORTAS

LA BUENAVENTURA (p1)

I

No sé qué día de Agosto del año 1816 llegó a las puertas de la Capitanía general[1-1] de Granada[1-2] cierto haraposo y grotesco gitano, de sesenta años de edad, de oficio esquilador y de apellido o sobrenombre _Heredia_, caballero en flaquísimo y 05 destartalado burro mohino, cuyos arneses se reducían a una soga atada al pescuezo; y, echado que hubo[1-3] pie a tierra, dijo con la mayor frescura «_que quería ver al Capitán general_.»