Survivor's Guilt

• Dedicated to adam h

A/N: Hey guys! So this is my third story, and I'm not exactly sure how much I like it. So this is the first chapter! Please, please, please, puh-leeeaaassseee! comment (telling me if you like it or not) vote, and fan!  Alsoo... the dedication to this chapter goes to my amazing best friend adam! he means the world to me! Thanks so much! Luv ya! Mika

P.S. I know it's short... sorry! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

I could hear the sirens wailing in the distance, but my heart wasn't racing and my brain wasn't having trouble contemplating our situation. I closed my eyes and focused on breathing. In... out.... in.....out.......in.....out.... slowly, my breathing was becoming harder, and more frustrating. In..... out...v in..... out.... My breaths were also becoming far more spaced out, and I could feel myself drifting. You know that feeling right before you're about to fall asleep? That's what it felt like for me. I briefly opened my eyes to see the red and blue lights flashing against the solid black canvas of the sky. I quickly closed them and focused on breathing again. I heard urgent voices, and I could sense the driver's side door being pulled open. I could hear a rip that sounded like tearing stitches, and then, two hands lifted me out. I relaxed my head and let my muscles go slack. I heard more of the voices, and I was placed on a flat, cushioned surface. My back was raised, and I felt a band being placed around my head. "Just breathe, sweetheart," a soothing female voice told me. I did as I was instructed, and the pressure on my chest eased, just a little. I could feel the surface rolling, and I assumed I was being taken to an ambulance. I kept breathing and trying to calm myself...

I had my earbuds in and was reliving that terrible night, when suddenly I was knocked onto the ground. Hard. I tugged my earbuds out of my ears. "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!" I heard a male voice exclaim. I saw a tan hand reach towards me, and I took it. "Are you okay?" the guy asked me. I nodded and stared at the ground. "You sure?" he asked again, his eyes filled with worry. I nodded again, and I started off. "Wait, why won't you talk to me? I won't bite, I promise," the guy told me anxiously. Seriously, what was he so nervous about? I waved my hand dismissively and continued walking. The guy grabbed my forearm and spun me back to face him. "Well, I'm Adam," he said and handed me a piece of paper. I folded it and stuffed it in my pocket. "E-mail me, kay?" he asked. After I nodded, he ran off in the opposite direction. I shook my head in disbelief. I put my earbuds back in and kept running though. About three yards down the path, I slowly veered off the sidewalk. I checked the coast, and after I checked that no one was following me, I ducked into a small clearing in the trees. I stood sideways at the top of the hill and slid down. Thank God for traction. I walked down (on the flat ground) to a small stream. I leaped across it and found my rock. My rock was the flattest, longest, and lowest rock next to the stream. I quickly untied my running shoes, took my socks off, and stuck my feet into the cool stream. I could feel some of the tiny little stream fish surrounding my feet, but I ignored them. I stayed sitting and studied my rock for about the millionth time. The stone looked like any other dull, gray stone in the woods, but it was much different. I traced imaginary designs on the boulder as I studied it. There were specks of forest green, shiny silver, and bronze. I traced designs all over it, and then, I laid down. That was what made my rock so special. It was the longest rock that was even remotely close to the stream, and it was actually very close. I could easily relax and put my feet in the water. I laid my head on my hands, and I closed my eyes. The water rushed across my feet, and the birds chirped happily. I heard a frog croak somewhere in the distance, but I ignored it. I had learned that if you don't bother nature, it won't bother you. I heard a car horn blare so loudly that it echoed off the forest walls, and I winced. Any loud, obnoxious noise that related to a car, like car horns or car alarms startled and frightened me now. I felt a slight pain in my chest and flinched away from it. I plugged my earbuds in again and started blaring Automatic by Stellar Kart loudly to tune out everything else. Yeah, I'm religious. Deal with it. Actually, if you listen to one of their songs, Stellar Kart doesn't sound like a Christian band. They're very rock 'n' roll and different. That's why I like them so much. If any kid at school saw what I was listening to, they wouldn't know I was praising God for so many things, and that's how I want to keep it.

For the first time since I had discovered my hiding place in the woods, I heard the heavy crunch of twigs. It didn't sound like a small, light animal like I was used to hearing; it sounded like a human. A heavy footed one at that. I reluctantly blinked my eyes open, and I was surprised to see a large shadow over my face. I let out a tiny, inaudible squeal and sat up. “Wait, you know about this place?” I heard a semi-familiar male voice ask. I rubbed the hint of sleep out of my eyes and blinked at Adam. I nodded, and he grinned. “Well, I can't keep leaving my secrets here then,” he puzzled. I giggled inside, but I continued to stare at him with a straight face. He fumed over something for a minute, and then he spoke again. “You don't talk do you?” I shook my head, and my bangs fell over into my eyes. I swung my head slightly to the left, but a tiny strand of hair fell back into my face. I reached my finger over to move it, but before I could get remotely close to touching it, Adam reached out. “Let me,” he said, and his finger gently grazed my forehead as he pushed the hair out of my eyes. I blushed and looked down; his simple touch had made my heart drop to my stomach. I sucked in a deep breath and moved a smidge to my right. I patted the vacated stone with my left hand, and Adam smiled. His lips were closed, but it was still genuine. He took the seat, and he folded his hands between his legs. “Why don't you talk?” he asked me. I looked down and shook my head. He gently rubbed my back, and I felt like I had been electrocuted. “It's okay, you don't have to tell me,” he assured me. “But,” he said, sliding so our knees were touching, “maybe someday you will.”