Chapter 26: Rose Hope

Dean was just smiling at me, hoping that my reaction would be the same as his. But my eyes just widened as I looked at the pink box that he was holding.

Inside the opened box, there was a simple silver necklace laced with pearls on the silver chain. I glanced back at him and then down back at the box. Why is he giving me this? I wondered. I stared at the necklace again, seeing the shining colour reflecting softly to my eyes as the pearls twinkled at me. But as I examined further, at the centre of the necklace, there was a small pink rose, coiled with its elegant petals; as it was wrapped by the light green leaves. And just below the rose there were two other white leaves that dangled down the necklace along with a small white pearl.

I glimpsed at Chloe and she just smiled at me nodding, telling me to say thank you to him. But instead, I looked up at him and stared into his eyes. “Is this a necklace?”

Dean grinned at me and nodded, “Yep,” he smiled, “I specially ordered this for you.” I could see his blue eyes twinkling, “So it’s one of a kind.” He looked at me, expecting me to gasp like those girls who would think that this was sweet, but I didn’t. I just didn’t get why he was doing this?

“But why?” I finally said.

His eyes lowered and he frowned, “You mean you don’t like it?”

I just blanked out, What am I supposed to say? I opened my mouth to say something like, ‘I hate it’, but for some reason, it came out to be…

“I like it.”

My eyes just widened, Why did I say that?

Before I could fix myself, I saw Dean smiling again, “You really mean it?” He asked again.

I was still confused myself, wondering why I said ‘I like it’ when I was thinking of the opposite side, but as I thought I just nodded automatically. After that very second I nodded, I realised what I just did again, Great! It’s like my mind has a mind of itself!

I glanced up at Dean, seeing his blue eyes shining with happiness. I just sighed and smiled at him, “Thank you.” I finally said. And again, I had no idea why I said that. It just seemed like it was the appropriate time to say, Thank you to him.

He didn’t react or teased me, but he just smiled again, like he had completed something he wanted to do a long time ago.

I looked over to Chloe and saw her smiling at the both of us, like we were a couple or something.

“Well then,” Chloe smiled again, “I better get going then.”

I looked at her frowning, “Already?”

“Yep.” She smiled at me, “Because I asked the other girls to take my place while I was gone out with your guys.” She glanced down at her watch, “And I think they are all waiting for me back at the shop.”

I nodded, “I guess we should hang out next time?”

Chloe smiled again, “You got that right.” She looked at me, “Can I have you number?”

I smiled weakly at her, “Yeah, if I have one.” I glanced at my shoes, “My last one broke again.”

“Again?” Chloe asked, “That’s the seventeenth phone you lost or broke.”

“I know, I know,” I said, “It’s just that after Black Arrow Academy, I keep doing these other jobs and things and it gets misplaced or dropped.”

Chloe smiled at me, “Let me guess, someone kidnapped you and they broke your phone?”

I thought again, remembering that my last phone was thrown on the floor by the Firer when I was kidnapped. I nodded, “How did you know that?”

She looked at me again and grinned, “A lucky guess?”

“Right…” I continued off.

“Okay then, I’ll be going then.” Chloe stood up, “Here’s my number,” she pulled my hand closer to her and pulled out a pen out of her bag. She smiled as she wrote her number on my hand, “Call me when you have a new phone okay?”

“Yeah…” I nodded, “Once I find some money first.”

Chloe gave me one more hug and released me. She then looked over to Dean, “Thanks for the ice cream.” She said, “Can’t wait to see your wedding invitation then.” She glanced at me.

“Hah?”

She winked at me and smiled again, “See you guys later.” And she left the winter park.

“She was nice.” Dean started, which I guess he was still chuckling about the wedding invitation.

I looked at him, “She was joking with me okay?” I stared at him, “I have nothing to do with you.”

He smiled, “Is that so?”

I nodded, “I’m just your plain old bodyguard and nothing else.”

“You’re not old,” Dean said, “you’re…” He paused for a few seconds.

“I’m what?” I raised an eyebrow.

He started to tap on his chin and the other hand scratching his head, and after a few more moments, his eyes widened with excitement, “You’re unique!”

“Fine.” I rolled my eyes, I couldn’t be bothered arguing with him today. “I have nothing to do with you, but just your plain unique bodyguard.” I glanced back at him, “Happy now?”

“If you’re nothing to me,” Dean grinned again, “Then why did you agreed on the date with me?”

Great, he was back to his normal self again. “Okay then,” I smiled, “since you put it that way, I won’t go to the date with you.”

He reacted, “No, don’t do that Rosy.” He whined. Here we go again. “I was just teasing you.” He grinned, “No need to get upset or anything.”

“Oh really, Junior?” I started to walk away from him, “Because I totally understand you okay?” I stopped and pointed at him, “Which also means that I know what you are always thinking.” I looked at him, “I can read you like a book!” I added.

He smiled, “You really know me that well?”

I nodded, “Yes.” I said firmly.

Dean walked closer to me, “Are you sure?”

“Yep!” I said in a tune along song.

“Are you sure sure?”

I looked at him again and sighed, “Yes!” I looked at him, “I’m a hundred and fifty percent sure sure!”

He took another step closer to me, “Well then,” he paused and looked into my eyes, “do you know that I like you?”

The last few words echoed into my ears, as my eyes widened with shock. He grinned at me again, seeing my reaction as I studied his lips moving along the words that he just said to me. I glanced at him again, feeling the soft winter breeze by the side of my cheek, allowing my brown hair to brush over my lips. Dean smiled with his glimmering blue eyes as he looked into mine, and gently brushed his hand over my long strand of hair that was covering my lips.

I gasped as I noticed something twinkled in his eyes, in the same moment my heart skipped a beat. And he, however, just lowered down to my lips…

***

Well, this chapter is a little short, due to the recent updates. Hope that you would still continue this story. Remember to vote and comment! And as always, thank you reading!