Lay Me Down One Shot

"Carter, wait." I called after him. "Please." I was begging now. 

I ran faster and grabbed his hand but he flinched away. I looked down hurt. How could that one little action have hurt me? During the little time I had known him?

"Let me explain." I begged once again. He didn't move so I took this chance while controlling my tears. 

"I do it because I don't have a choice. I hate it and it disgusts me but he forces me to do it Carter. My mom is like his lost little puppy so in exchange for drugs, she lets him do whatever he wants- including me." I added softly. "I can't run away because I have nowhere to go." Tears were inching out of my eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me Lizzie? Why?" I didn't want to look up and see his hardened face.

"I was scared."

"I'm sorry Lizzie but you should've told me. I tell you my secrets and I avoided others just to be with you. Do you know how I felt to go down there and see you with that man? I felt betrayed. I kissed you and I liked you and this is what happens." 

I glance up at him to see him draw in a breath and run his hand through his hair.

He looked up at me. "I want nothing to do with you.

My knees trembled and the tears kept coming down. Only faster this time. 

Keep trying Lizzie. He has to understand. Just keep trying. Honestly, I don't even know why I care so much about him. I knew talking to him from the start would backfire and it wasn't easy.

"You know Carter, I never meant for any of this to happen. I had no friends because they would eventually find out or get tired of me when they find out I'm keeping a secret." I sniffled. "That's why I was harsh to you when we first met. I kept trying to avoid you. The car rides, homework, you even sat next to me in class when you knew you weren't wanted. This whole-"

" Don't try to put the guilt on me Lizzie," he interrupted. "I kept trying so you would loosen up and we could be friends." 

"I wasn't trying to make you feel bad Carter." I kept my eyes plastered to the ground. The teardrops were running down my chin unto the floor creating a puddle.

"I have to go." Carter said. He sounded bored but I knew it was just a cover up. But still, I couldn't help but sob out loud. This was worse than my friends leaving me four years ago. But I knew I could handle it.

" You know Carter, I never judged you." I said softly. "Not once did I judge you when you told me."

With that, I turned and walked away. I finally looked up. I was so caught up in talking to Carter that I didn't realize the people who had gathered around. Most of them probably thought that I was crying because my offer of sex was rejected anyways. That didn't bother me though. I walked through the doors. I felt embarrassed but I could care less. I had to take my mind of the hurt I was feeling.

On the sidewalk by the school, I stopped and took the moment to wipe my tears away. I inhaled the air and it cleansed me a little. I thought about what happened back there. I sat on the grass by the pavement not caring if passers-by looked at me as if I was crazy or homeless. All I needed to do was get a hold of myself again and then I'm back to being the loner.

Suddenly, warm arms engulfed me. I jumped up and was ready to hit whoever it was. I turned and saw it was Carter. I stepped back but he only came forward and hugged me again.

"You're right Lizzie. You never did judge me. Not once." He whispered in my ear. "I'm sorry but you couldn't exactly blame me after what I saw. I jumped to conclusions and I thought you were just playing me."

He pulled back and wiped the tears that were subconciously rolling down my face. "I'm sorry." he said once again. 

"I'm sorry too." We smiled and I let him embrace me again. After a while of just standing there and filling myself in his warmth, we pulled back.

"I never pegged you as much of a cryer." He joked. 

"Oh, shut up." I laughed and shoved him. I'm just glad things were back to normal. We were friends again.

------------------------------------

A/N So this is my one shot for the story 'Lay Me Down'. The scene is when Carter finds out that Lizzie is a prostitute. It's pretty long but I hope you enjoy :)