Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

We made it back to the car without any more encounters. Probably because we’d taken out most of the attackers and those who hadn’t been taken out had seen the damage we’d caused.

James got behind the wheel and started driving. This time I was glad to be in the grandpa car and I let my head fall against the back of the seat. I was feeling very tired all of a sudden. All the energy put into hurting those people had left me dry. I needed sleep and it didn’t seem to matter that we were heading back to the base in my kidnappers car.

“Don’t tell them,” I whispered as my eyes closed.

“Don’t tell who what?” James asked, his voice quieter than usual. He was probably just as tired as I was. He’d taken a direct hit from that lightning guy. I could tell that shields were not his strength and that most of that guy’s energy had hit him.

I was too tired to form words so I let my shields drop completely and thought at him, Dillon and the rest of them. My sister especially. They can’t know what I can do. Please.

I never knew if he agreed or not because I passed out before I could hear his answer.

When I woke up, I was in a bed. The room was dark so I couldn’t tell exactly where I was. I heard a light snore and jumped before I realized it was my sister. I was back at the base.

I sighed, putting my face into my hands. “I really didn’t want to come back here,” I mumbled at no one.

I glanced at the clock which read 6:00 am. I’d been asleep for almost 16 hours.

“Catching up on some lost Zs, I guess,” I mumbled again. I hadn’t really slept a lot since this whole fiasco had begun.

I decided to stop wallowing and flung my blanket off of me. I went into the washroom and looked down at myself. I was wearing pajamas. I decided not to dwell on who’d changed my clothes, deciding that it was the least of my worries. I took a shower and started to feel slightly more human. I walked out of the room and noticed my clothes, washed and folded just outside the door.

Huh, maybe living here wouldn’t be so bad after all. Now, only if it had been a whole new outfit. You can only wear jeans and a tank top so many days in a row.

I put the clothes on anyway and noted that they now smelled like tide as opposed to stale beer.

Next step, coffee.

I made my way to the kitchen which was completely empty. I put on a pot of coffee and munched on some stale Cheerios while I waited. I was standing at the kitchen counter when Angela walked in.

“So you’re alive.” Her tone wasn’t exactly happy about the news.

“Don’t sound so excited,” I said after a second. My brain was functioning very slowly this morning. C’mon coffee, brew faster.

“Excuse me for not appreciating the return of a deserter.” Red managed to elbow me in the ribs while reaching for a coffee cup. As soon as it had stopped dripping she snagged the pot and filled her cup. I didn’t have enough energy to bitch at her and considering I’d drank half her coffee the day earlier, I had no right to argue.

I ignored her comment and, taking my precious coffee with me, I sat at the table. She sat down too and stared at me.

“You’re weird, you know that?” she said to me.

I raised my eyebrows and thought, What, like you’re normal? You live with a bunch of circus freaks.

When I didn’t reply she took it as an invitation to keep talking. It hadn’t been but I wasn’t about to stop her.