Chapter Three: The day that changed everything

I wish I could see the future, and then maybe I wouldn't have gone to that party. No one should have to go through what I went through. This party is going to turn my life upside down. I hate High school. I had plans for after high school. Who could know that one party would turn it all around?

                                    ***

We were on our way to the party. I told my mom that I'd be staying the night at Cloe's and Cloe told her mom that she'd be at mine, so we were covered. I decided that we should walk. Dedrick's house wasn't too far from mine. We arrived at his house about an hour after the party started. Full in costume, no one questioned us. They stared a bit, but once they noticed us, they went back to the party. Cloe and I walked around to get a feel of the house and party. It was a huge house. I mean the living room alone was at least 30' by 30'. It was huge and beautiful. Once we got a feel of the place, we split up to mingle. She went to talk to the cheerleaders. I just stood by the kitchen entrance and watched people.

"Hey." I heard someone say. I looked around. I wasn't sure that they were talking to me, but he walked closer. "Hey," he said again.

"Umm. Hello."

"Enjoying the party?"

Obviously not. I'm standing in one spot, watching people. "I assumed that much was obvious." I say sarcastically.

"Yeah, why don't you have a drink? I'll get you one if you want."

I looked at him for a minute, trying to see if I knew him. He had a mask on. All I could see was his eyes and his mouth; his beautiful eyes and his soft lips. They looked familiar, but I couldn’t put a face to them. All I could do was stare. I didn't realize how long I was staring.

"Well?" He said with confusion. I'm sure it was awkward for him.

"Sure." I didn't really want a drink, but if I said no, he might have questioned me. Why would I go to a party if I wasn't going to drink and enjoy it?

"Ok. I'll be right back with that drink," he clicked and made a gun with his fingers. He laughed which made me laugh.

I just wanted the awkwardness to end. He left and I took a deep breath and sighed. Please don't come back, I thought. I stood there for what seemed like an hour. I didn't think he was coming back. Thank god. As soon as I thought that, he popped back up.

"Here," he extended his hand and in it: a beer.

"Thanks." I said grabbing it. I sipped it and almost spit it out. I didn't want to embarrass myself, so I choked it down. He looked at me as if he knew I didn't want it.

"So why did you come to this party?"

I knew that was coming. "My friend dragged me along." I lied.

"Oh, where is your friend?"

I pointed to her. She was across the room laughing with the cheerleaders. I wish I could hear what they were saying. He glanced over to her and then looked at me.

"Well, it looks like you're having fun, and I have to go mingle. I won't be gone to long, so don't have too much fun." He said trying not to laugh.

"Oh, yeah. I'll totally try not to do that." I said with sarcasm. I laughed at what he said. He smiled and waved as he went to talk to other people.

Who was that? Not too long after he left another guy came up to me.

"Heey." He said trying to sound cool.

"Hello."

"Whatchya doin?"

"Standing here." I said confused. "Duh."