Chapter 14

Twain could not wait to finish his lecture.  Macy had been a total distraction. He'd regretted his instruction to have her in the front row.   She was stunning in her evening dress ... sexy as hell, with those dark grey eyes undressing him, the way she so provocatively tugged at the ends of her silky hair, black as midnight.  He almost never saw her with make-up on, but tonight her face was lightly made, just enough to accentuate her beautiful eyes and high cheek bones.  She was laughing at something Stuart was whispering in her ear.  She had the most innocent of laughs.  He did not like Stuart's ability to make her laugh so easily.  Purposefully he stepped down from the podium and walked straight to Macy's chair.

'I'll take you home,' he asserted, without preamble.

Macy squirmed with embarrassment.  'I got here with Alec,' she reminded him.

'But you're going home with me.'

Macy could see, Twain was not going to allow her to leave with Alec, neither was Alec going to challenge the Chief of Staff, from the subservient look on Alec's face.

Coward
Macy's eye's glared at Alec accusingly.  'What happened to the late night movie?' Macy whispered close to Alec's ear.

He shifted uncomfortably, 'Not like you would have went with me, Mace, admit it.'

  'Dr. Crawford!' Somebody called Twain's attention.

Macy looked up to see a familiar professor, from her days at University.

Macy was incensed when Twain just merrily took her by the elbow and walked towards the professor who had called his name.

'Prof,' Twain smiled good naturedly.  'How are you sir?'

'Fine, fine, young man,' but his smiling eyes were on Macy.

'Prof, let me introduce you to my fiancée, Dr. Macy Skye.'

I am not your bloody fiancée!

Macy tried to remove her hand that was in a steel grip in Twain's, but he was having none of it.

'I may be old, young man, but I never forget a pretty face,' the professor kept his eyes on Macy.

'Hi, Professor Kahn,' Macy greeted.

The professor absently rubbed his thumb and index finger over his chin.   'Skye, ___ pediatrics, if I remember,' he nodded to himself.  'One of my brightest students,' the professor finally met Twain's eyes.

  'And she's on staff at Crawford, doing a splendid job,' Twain proudly added.

The professor laughed.  'She was gutsy too, would challenge me for every mark.'

Macy's face coloured brightly.

'She still is,' Twain laughed, possessively draping his arm around her waist.

'I would deliberately mark her down, just to play devil's advocate with her,' the professor smiled in a self-satisfied way.

'You use to do that on purpose!'  Macy exclaimed, in astonishment.

The professor laughed heartily.  'It was refreshing, having somebody challenge me.  Most students just swallowed what I said as gospel.'

'I don't believe it,' Macy shook her head incredulously.

The professor smiled again, placing his heavy palm on Macy's shoulder.  'You're marrying a fine young man.  He's extremely dedicated and hard-working, with a great future ahead of him,' he prophesied.

Macy's eyes travelled slowly to Twain's.  He was dedicated and hard working all right, she was not sure about herself "marrying a fine young man."

'Darling, shall we mingle?  There's somebody I haven't seen in years,' his eyes held Macy's endearingly.