“Audrina Knight! Stop trying to make a mountain out of a hill. You just want to stir up trouble and I will not have it in my class!” he roared. The rest of the class turned to look at me, some smiling, some just curious. I sighed and put the rest of my things in my bag.

            “Yes sir.” I mumbled. The bell rang, signaling the end of the day and everyone began to gather his or her things.

            “No homework this weekend. See you all in the Pep Rally.” The class groaned in unison, forgetting the mandatory pep rally today.

            “Poor Audrina.” I heard as I stepped out of the classroom.

            “What do you want Mandy?” I asked.

            “From you? Nothing…because you are nothing. You know what I think your problem with vampires is? You’re scared…because you won’t get chosen. Who would want to pick an ugly little thing like you?” Mandy swung her purse over her shoulder, her friends doing the same.

            “Don’t worry. I’m sure a nice human boy will eventually marry you, and you’ll have little babies and get fat…and old. Well I promise you when Sunday comes, I will be chosen.” With that she left, giggling like the fool she was. I clenched my jaw and walked into the bathroom, rubbing away the tears that began to fall.

Mandy was right about one thing. I was scared. I wasn’t scared I wouldn’t be chosen; I was scared I would be. I grew up listening to my mother’s stories about how her sister went missing on June 21, and how she never came back. My mom still hopes to this day she was chosen, but something inside always told her she wasn’t. And something horrible happened to her.

I looked in the mirror after wiping my face and blowing my nose. A pretty girl looked back at me. Whenever Mandy called me ugly, I always ignored her, because I knew I wasn’t. She hated me. But I didn’t hate her. I didn’t hate anybody for that matter. I was raised to forgive and forget, and to not let what people say bother me. But I was still frightened. What if I was taken away?

“All remaining students please report to the auditorium at this time.” I heard the announcement and ran to the gym doors, hoping I would find a seat. I slipped through the doors unnoticed and stood near in the shadows of the bleachers.

“Okay settle down, I know you all want to leave, we will keep this as short as possible.” Principal Haynes spoke.

“I just want to say what a wonderful year we have had. Our football team won the state championship and the girls volleyball went to regional’s!” I heard a thunder of claps begin and die down.

“Now, on to more important things. This Sunday is June 21. Exactly twenty years ago it was Nocte Defunctorum, and it is time again for the vampires to come to Vivens.”

“I hope I get chosen dude. It would be the ultimate fantasy for some hot vampire chick to take care of me.” I heard Evan Morris say.

“Yeah, she’ll be like the ultimate Cougar.” His friend Josh said, high fiving each other.

“I encourage all of you to stay indoors that night. As you know, the vampires cannot take you from your home. As you all know from your Vampire History classes, vampires are predators. They are dangerous. Don’t be fooled by their beauty. On that note, I hope to see you all Monday for our last baseball game of the year! Go Tigers!” A roar of shouting and clapping went on for a few moments and we were dismissed.

I made my way to the bike rack, sliding onto my own and putting my backpack in the basket. I shoved my Ipod buds into my ear, trying to block out the chatter. Everywhere I turned there was a group of girls whining about how they should do their hair, or what to wear on Sunday night. One group of students are even planning on just meeting at the mall and hoping a few vampires will be around.

I was finally around the corner of the school when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

“Macy! You scared me.” I pulled the buds from my ears, peddling alongside my best friend.

“I heard what happened in Fergusons class.” Macy said.

“Of course you did. News travels quickly here.” I rolled my eyes, turning onto a side road.

“Why do you fight so much? Just ignore all the vampire stuff. It doesn’t matter as long as we stay inside we’ll be fine, right?” Macy looked over at me.

“Yeah. I just hate the bullshit they feed us. I know they know more than what they are leading on. Do you honestly expect me to believe it’s all rainbows and butterflies on the other side?” I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, But…it wouldn’t be so bad, you know?” I saw Macy blush.

“Wait…you’re not thinking of going outside are you?” Macy shrugged her shoulders.

“I mean, I’ve thought of it. I would miss my mom a lot, but how cool would it be to find your one true love and get taken care of forever?” she sighed dreamily.

“Yeah and have your blood sucked every night, plus you’d have to compete with two other girls.”

“So are you saying I wouldn’t be able to beat them?”

“No! I’m just saying it isn’t what it all seems to be Macy…My mom always told me the stories of Nocte Defunctorum when she was young. She still has nightmares of the screams of her sister when she was taken from their front yard.” I shivered.

“Don’t worry, I was just thinking what it would be like. You’re stuck with me forever.” Macy smiled at me. I smirked and fake gasped.

“Oh, how will I ever survive!” I pulled into my driveway, and Macy pulled into the one next door.

“Hey Audrina?” she called over the fence.

“Yeah?” I asked, putting my bike into the garage.

“Want to have a cheesy movie marathon tonight?”

“Sure.”