Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

Justin's Point of View:

Opening the screen door that led inside the cabin, I walked in after turning on the car. The second I got off the phone with Bruce, I knew something bad had happened and despite my countless tries of convincing Bruce to let me stay the night with Kelsey and just come tomorrow, he wouldn't have it because according to him, I would "want to see this", whatever that meant.

"Kels-" Looking over at her, I cut myself short upon noticing how upset she seemed. She was currently leaning over, grabbing her shirts and folding them before stuffing them into her bag with a look of disappointment tinted on her face.

Licking my lips, I maneuvered my way over to her before wrapping my arms around her waist. "Don't be mad," I murmured comfortingly.

"I'm not." She crudely replied, avoiding my eyes as she continued slamming fistfuls of her things into her bag, ignoring my existence.

Running my hand through my hair, I vigorously scratched the back of my head. She was so frustratingly quiet and reserved at times, it drove me crazy. I hated knowing she was angry with me and instead of coming right out and telling me when I asked, she declined.

Overlapping her hands with my own, I heavily sighed. "You are." I urged, turning her around to face me as I looked down into her eyes. "Tell me what's wrong." I whispered, trying to remain calm enough to discuss this without losing my temper.

I hated when she kept things from me and she knew that.

Opening her mouth as though she was going to say something, I frowned once she pressed her lips together, refusing to speak her thoughts.

Giving her hands a gentle squeeze to remind her that I was waiting for an answer, she fumbled on her feet, trying to distract her eyes with anything but me at the moment.

"It's just..." Kelsey sighed, shaking her head. "I don't understand why we have to head back home. You told me we were going to enjoy a weekend together, just the two of us. You said nothing about spending the night and then leaving." She emphasized the key terms in her sentence, wanting to get across to me that she was displeased as was I.

"Trust me baby, I had this entire weekend planned. I had no intentions on going back home tonight but something happened and Bruce needs me." Leaning forwards, I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, hoping to relinquish some of her anxiety. "Come on," I thumbed behind me, "Let's head on out."

Removing her hands from mine, Kelsey zipped up her bag after packing everything inside before taking my outstretched hand once more and following me across the room, around the couch and over to the front door.

Stopping at the entrance to the door, Kelsey took a look back into the cabin, a sincere, saddened look glowing within her brown eyes. Bowing her head, she walked out onto the front porch, waiting as I locked the door before jogging down the steps with me by her side.

Opening the passenger side, Kelsey slid in, waiting for me as I got around to the driver's side after putting her bags away in the trunk. Revving up the engine, I held the back headrest of Kelsey's chair as I began pulling out of the driveway and onto the street where I then switched gears to drive and began cruising down the road.