Chapter Five

My mind swirled as we walked down the street, on our way to sit at the park that I spent my first night on the streets at. I kept eyeing her and the bag of food she was carrying, but all she did was chew on a slice of cornbread acting as if she didn't have a care in the world. Does she even realize what she has just done? She stole food from someone that helped me on my first night out! And I can only imagine how many times this has happened...

"Uh, Abi," I called her name as she stood on the corner of an intersection, waiting until the light turned green so we could cross. "Abigail." I called out again and got her attention this time.

"Yeah? Wassup, Steph." She questioned.

"Did you uh," I scratched at the back of my neck, feeling a little nervous about asking her. "D-Did you pay for the, uh, food?"

"Yeah. Of course I paid for it. Well, they gave me a discount because obviously I don't have a steady stream of money. And plus Marcus - the guy who gave us the food - always let me get a little extra for free when Annetta isn't there. Just calm down, Steph." She chuckled and threw a light punch towards my arm.

I knew she was lying and she probably knew that I knew she was lying. Hell, President Obama probably even knew that she was lying. But, the way that she rolled with her lie intrigued me. I can't lie that easily because the truth shows all in my face. But, I just brushed it off and walked along with her. From the wrist watch that adorned my wrist, it was about 1:30 in the afternoon and I think today was Monday or Tuesday.

On days like this, I'd be in school dreading the moment where the final bell to go home would ring. And when it did ring, I'd walk as slow as I could. Step by step, I took the long way home and kicked around pebbles on the way there. But sometimes I'd have to be considerate of how long I took because if I got home too late, that'll be a night I got my ass whooped for not arriving on time.

"Hey, you okay?" Abigail touched my shoulder and I looked at her with a twisted face. The fact that she stole from people who were so kind to me was bothering me down to my soul. It wasn't me that was losing money, but it still bothered me because they didn't have to give me free food every day.

"No, Abigail. I am not okay." I said and rubbed my forehead.

She frowned and looked at me. "Well, what's your problem?"

"That shit you pulled back there is my problem, Abigail. How could you steal that food like that and then lie to me about it? What if someone would've saw you do what you did?" I snapped and frowned deeply. I felt an uncontrollable rage in the pit of my belly because I had finally put myself in Ms. Annetta's shoes.

"Why does it even matter to you? It's not like you had the money to pay for the food! It was just two little takeout plates and a few slices of cake and cornbread. Calm yourself down." She said and raised her hand at me.

"No, I will not calm down! Those people have been nothing but nice to us and you steal from them. I can't believe you're so careless!"

"And how were you going to pay for the goddamn food, Stephanie? It's not like you're out there on the streets pedaling selfish people for money four hours out the day. You're not walking around picking up every penny off the floor. So why does it matter to you? You wanted the food as much as I did."

Okay. That was the last straw. So, maybe I didn't have to pedal money and pick up every penny off the floor. Why? Maybe that's because I had a bag with nearly four-thousand-dollars in it and I could actually buy myself food. But, why did I even trust her from the first place? Oh, yeah. That's right. I didn't have a place to sleep or anyone who knews these streets better than me. But, that still doesn't make it right for her to steal.