Chapter 1 Part 3

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">It was now 1pm & my auntie's & cousins & uncles had started to arrive. My auntie's began unpacking bags of meat & chicken. Of course I had to stay in the kitchen and watch *sighs*, but at least I didn't have to do anything. Well that's what I thought. 

"Jemmimah, come and wash the chicken for me", aunty Anna said,bursting the bubble of happiness I had created for myself.

"Aunty ' it'll get in to my nails", I replied, hoping she would see pity on me and proceed to wash the chicken herself. Out of nowhere my mum decided to join the conversation. "Come on ' roll your sleeves and wash that chicken. What is wrong with you. How dare you tell your aunty, a whole aunty, that you can't wash the chicken. Or is there someone touching you ' telling you that you cannot wash the chicken. Idiot". She rolled her eyes and looked me up and down. My heart skips beats when she does this. It doesn't scare me, I just find confrontations intimidating.

"I didn't say I can't wash the chicken I just said it'll get into my nails and yes there is. Problem", I mumbled making sure I was loud enough for her to suspect I was talking but too quiet for her to make out any words. 

"Did you say anything there. You want to say it again,let me here you talk and I will slap your face. You are disappointing me, today of all days, my birthday. My mum said with a cranky tone, warning me that she was not at all happy.

I cut her off with the sound of the tap before she could continue. The atmosphere in the room became awkward. There was my aunty, Anna , sitting on a chair making the pounded yam. Her forehead sweating and the veins in her hands rising. There was my mum humming to herself whilst cutting the spinach and onions & there was me day dreaming & washing the stinky chicken. I swear washing chicken puts you off eating it. Eurghh. Some of the drumsticks still had brown hairs sticking out at the bottom. Kmt, & because my hands had been in water for so long, they had started to shrivel and my nails were loosing colour. I bet half of the people my age , 16, don't have to do this. its not even like its hard work but there's approximately 15 blue bags of chicken to wash.

The only person that was in the kitchen not doing anything was my aunty Rebecca - Becky for short. She just folded her arms and watched us all, as if to say she was our boss and we were her workers. Every now and then I would stare at her through the corner of my eyes, just to see what she was thinking. She's been through a lot in the past year. The loss of her husband, job & council flat. She lives in a hostel now, with her 5 children. Their names all begin with M. Michael who's 4 years old

Michelle & Maria who are 8 years old, they're twins and they're so adorable. Mayowa is 11 years old & Melissa is 13 next month. Sometimes I wonder how she copes with so many little children, to be honest if I was her I'd be at home 24/7 looking for a job. However that's the thing. Its not as easy as that. Aunty Becky's not exactly suppose to be in this country. She has no papers & if she's caught by immigration there's a chance she could be deported. I think the chances are unlikely though but I'm not sure. Mum never tells me anything. I only know what I know because I'm good at eaves dropping and my mum is very loud when she's on the phone. I'm not sure she understands the concept of a phone. 

They're always talking about how David Cameron is so useless - the way my mum says Cameron is funny - & that Gordon Brown should come back. I'm not a politics junkie and I don't really care about what's happening with the government and that but I have to admit everything ran smoother when Gordon Brown was Prime Minister.

I frowned whilst I washed the last chicken leg. I was so happy I was done. My mum had calmed down now & she was moving to the music on the radio. I don't like it when she's angry at me. Its really awkward. She gets me so angry at times though. You know when you just want to tell your mum to f**k off but you know if you do she'll break every single bone you have. Its like when she's talking to me she'll tell me to listen and that I never listen all I want to do is talk and argue but its the other way round. This woman never listens. Never. She's always right & you will always be wrong no matter the circumstances, I'm telling you.

I slowly crept out of the kitchen , my mums back was turnt towards me so she wouldn't have seen me leave anyway & I knew my auntie's wanted to keep from causing more trouble but I had to make sure. I ran up the stairs to my room, changed my top to a red and blue long sleeve checkered shirt & wore some blue skinny jeans. I rolled them up to reveal my ankles. They were sort of dry so I massaged in some nivea - that cream is sexy. I wore some ankle socks and put on my air max 90's. Soon after I left the house and went to the park. I needed some air, not just to clear my airways from all the cooking but to clear my head as well.

Me & dennis have been going out for like 2 years now & I can honestly say I love him. I would die for this dude. He's perfect. However lately he's been acting up, I don't know whether its just me and jealousy taking over my sense or my instincts telling me the truth. I really don't know why but I have a feeling that he's hiding something. *sighhsss*.

I'm not going to lie I'm a very jealous girl. Not jealous as in 'I want my friends bag' jealous but jealous as in 'why's does he have that girl on bb, she's not even nice' jealous. I hate how he talks to other girls but there's nothing I can do about that, just going to have to suck it up and accept that two people of different genders can just be friends.

When I got back home, the house was silent. I was so confused at first, then I realised the back door was open. They must have all started packing the party things in the car. The party was going to start soon & I didn't even know what I was going to wear. I wasn't going to overly dress up because 'I don't like social gatherings'. I quickly ran upstairs and grabbed a burgundy skater skirt from its hanger and wore it. I pulled out a white vest top from the draw beneath my wardrobe. It wasn't crinkled so I didn't have to iron it.*hallelujah*. My basic outfit was now done. I accessoriesed with a statement necklace I got from river island, a couple of rings, bracelets and my white g-shock. I don't really wear make-up because it doesn't look right on me. I think I'm too young to wear the full thing Ie foundation and concealer etc. LOOOL you know that new eyebrow trend that's starting I'd never do it, people need to remember that eyebrows are not suppose to be identical. They're sisters not twins. Anyway make up makes me look a lot older- too old. However I do like eyeliner sometimes & lip gloss, lipsticks, lip stains they're my thing. I put my hair into a high bun with an american apparel bow, wore my burgundy and gold puma suedes and took my leather jacket from behind the door. I made my way downstairs till I remembered I hadn't taken my phone, so I went back to get it. "I'm waiting in the car mum" I yelled whilst running downstairs.

Thank you for reading. Please follow to be updated and follow me on tumblr : www.bakemelove.tumblr.com

@Bakemlove - instagram

</pre>