Chapter 1: The Talk

Start from the beginning

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

"Sarah, we need to talk."

I stopped mid track, and sighed, looking at the door. I almost made it. Almost. Well, I knew it had to happen soon. Better get it over with.

"Sarah?"

It's not like I didn't expect it. In fact, the talk was long overdue. After all, it is already the last Friday before the beginning of my senior year. I'm quite surprised that she waited this long. Just one more year of high school and then I'll –

"Sarah!"

I sighed again.  

"Coming, Mom!" Looking at the door longingly once more, I turned around and made my way into our living room. There she was, waiting for me, sitting on our white plush couch and looking at me with her special smile. The smile she always wears when she is about to have a talk with you. It's comforting and somewhat scary at once, because most of the time you just don't know what she is up to.

I get to see this smile quite often. My mom just loves to talk. Nothing is too embarrassing, no topic is taboo. Not a single one. The day she won't be willing to talk about something will be the day the four horsemen of the apocalypse finally make their appearance.

She talks about everything, really.

Jobwise, that's fantastic for her. It truly is.

I guess my mom is one of those few lucky people out there who has found her true calling and gets paid for what she loves doing best: She is a psychologist.

Getting paid for talking with people all day long – a dream come true for her!

Unfortunately, she still feels the need to have lots of talks with me. Or my little brother Brad. Or Brad and me. Or my father. Or my father and Brad. Or all of us. Or any other combination of family and non-family members she can think of.

Well, at least I knew this talk was coming. It's the traditional talk before the beginning of a new school year. To be honest, I was quite curious. You never know what she has to say.

 I smiled back at my mother and sat down on the couch right next to her. My eyes flickered to the glass table in front of us where a box of condoms and a box of highlighters were sitting right next to the remote.

Ah, memories.

That was one of the before-a-new-school-year-starts-talks I'd had with my mother I'd rather not talk about. Or think about.

I raised my eyebrows questioningly, looking back at my mother, meeting her bright blue eyes.

"Mom, I hate to say this, but this is a bad case of déjà vu. We did this freshman year, remember? Come to think of it, you also gave me a cell phone. – Wait, do I get a new phone?"

Actually, my cell phone wasn't that old – but what girl would say no to a brand new one?

"No. And that's not for you, it's for Brad," my mother answered.

Right. Brad is going to be a freshman this year.

Oh dear, my poor brother. Maybe I should have warned him. Then again, I didn't know that she would recycle this particular talk. It will definitely scar Brad for the rest of his high school life, at least.

I shuddered slightly.

On the bright side, it seemed to be a prop-free talk for me this year. But I really shouldn't get my hopes up too soon. I learned that lesson the hard way when I had my first period-talk.

Ugh, shouldn't think about that one, also.

"Sarah, you know, senior year is going to be a very special year for you," Mom started, looking into my eyes.