(7) Confusion and Loss

Wow it feels weird to be updating a Chapter so soon! I am not entirely pleased with this Chapter, it is a bit of a filler, but I really needed to start again somewhere so this is it :) Hope you all like it, keep an eye out for the next update xx

P.S I PROMISE NOT TO TAKE FIVE MONTHS TO UPDATE AGAIN. There. I said it. *phew* And I give you all permission to come to New Zealand and handcuff me to my computer if I do. I love you guys xxx

*    *    *    *

(Circe’s P.O.V)

I was furious. I couldn’t believe that Zalas had been so selfish as to keep that information from me! Cobalt could have died and I would have had the burden of knowing that I would have been able to save him, if only I could have known.

Shaking my head I threw open the door. There was no point in dwelling on it now. I was here and I could do something. Above me I heard shouting and I imagined Obsidian's fury at finding out I had not been notified. I didn’t quite know how I felt about seeing him again. On one hand, staring into his eyes had been like looking at the other half of myself. I felt like a piece of me had been missing and was now complete again. On the other hand I had no idea how to pick up with him from where we had left off.

My thoughts and my view was suddenly obscured by a mane of black curls and I squeezed the younger girl tightly.

“Lacy. It is so good to see you. I am so relieved that you are not hurt, but where is he? And how does he fair?”

Lacy pulled back, her green eyes swelling with tears. “He isn’t good Circe.” Her bottom lip wobbled. “If you hadn’t arrived today …” So looked fearfully over her shoulder as though she was afraid to speak the words allowed, should they come true.

I placed a hand on her shoulder and moved her gently out of my way, revealing the unmoving figure lying on the bed.

“Oh Cobalt …” Tears sprung to my eyes also and my fury at Zalas was renewed as I took him in. He was indeed on his death bed. Layers of sweat clung to him like a blanket and I could smell the sickly smell of dying flesh from where I was standing although I suspected that Lacy had been around it long enough now that the smell didn’t bother her as much.

“He went to sleep two days ago and he just hasn’t woken up,” She sobbed. “I don’t know what else to do!”

“Did the Queens people not offer to send a Doctor?” I asked incredulously, peeling back the gauze slightly as I did so and flinching at the gruesome look of the fermenting skin below. I noticed also that he was beginning to show signs of blood poisoning and I suddenly felt very overwhelmed. What if I couldn’t fix this?

“I turned them away.” Came the velveteen voiced reply, and I felt his presence come up behind me. Flashes of memories rushed through my head and I shivered; his touch, the roughness of his hands against my skin, the whisper of his glorious lips against my ears … taking a deep breath I tried to answer as calmly as possible.

“That was a foolish move that could have cost your brother his life.”

“I refuse to let foreign scum attended to my brother,” he snarled. The corner of my lips twitched slightly. There was my wild Pirate. “They probably would have killed him.”

Rolling my eyes, I refused to answer him. Now just was not the time. “Lacy darling, can you get me a bucket of warm salt water, some clean rags and fresh gauze, Obsidian, I think you should-

“I’m staying.”

His tone was final, but I heard the desperate undertone in his voice. Seeing his Cobalt this ill had affected him deeply. Mustering the courage, I looked up at him fleetingly and he stared defiantly back at me. The scar across his eye was still as angry and red as the day I had left him but his eyes shone brighter than ever, burning through me, studying my soul. I needed to look away before he discovered that the fire in my own eyes was burning with a passion for him that had not been forgotten in my departure. There was so much I desperately needed to say to him, but no way to say it. I felt as though we had climbed almost to the top of an impossibly tall ladder, only to fall all the way back down to square one. Our staring contest was abruptly interrupted by Lacy however, and I gladly looked away.