The Moon Goddess

Hello everyone! This is a collection of Short Stories:) I hope you will enjoy them!

1st Short Story.                 The Moon Goddess

Emerie raised her snout to the moon lit sky and let out a long howl.

“Em! Shut up.” I growled, baring canines.

She dropped her nose, and whined, staring at me with emerald green eyes. I subsided my growl, and stared back at her with cold icy blue eyes.

“Do you think they…heard?” She whispered, her mouth barely moving.

“I don’t know. I hope they didn’t. It would make matters worse. Why on earth did you even howl in the first place?”

“I thought it would be a good idea. Ya know. Howl. Alert others. We band together and protect each other.”

“Oh Emerie. Its not like that though. We needed to separate and flush out the hunters.”

She sighed, “I guess you’re right. It’s the only way.”

“I’m always right. Now come on. “ I nodded towards the bushes. She nodded in agreement. But of course she did. I’m the alpha.

“Calla. What do you we do we find hunters?”

“Fight.”

We pushed through the bushes, trying to get to the clearing. Twigs and thorns raked my face, taking out clumps of fur. I cursed under my breath. I could hear Emerie’s heavy breathing behind me. She hated being in places like this. Tight. Hardly able to move. I didn’t blame her.

“C’mon. They gotta be around here someone.” A human voice said, sounding distinctly male. We froze.  I could feel my muscles tense up, ready for action. Emerie’s breathing began to speed up. Oh no, I thought. Please not now. Her breathing started to slow down.

Thank god. And then a twig snapped.

“What was that?” The same voice asked, surprised.

“Maybe it was a rabbit.” A husky voice said.

My nails dug into the dirt. Back legs crouched down.

“That aint no damn rabbit. It came from the bushes. Go check it out.”

Now Calla. I pushed off my back feet, leaving the protection of the bushes. Bits of twigs flew everywhere. I bared my canines, growling furiously.

“Holy crap!” A man yelled. I quickly ran my eyes over the situation. Three men. Two had gun and were older. Maybe in their forties. And a younger one. He looked about my age. Seventeen.

My best bet would be to take out the younger one first. The others were probably slower, and easier to kill. Yes. That’s what I would do.

One of the older ones, who was wearing a orange baseball hat, took a step closer to me. Clearly he didn’t see my teeth. I bared my teeth, so he could clearly see them.

“That thing got some chompers!” He murmured.

“Damn. There’s another one.” The other man said. He had dusty brown hair, and many wrinkles.

No. No, No, No. Why wouldn’t you stay put Em?

“That one’s a beauty. I reckon we’d get a lot of money for its coat.”  Mr. Orange hat said.

I glanced at Emerie in the corner of my eye. She was a beauty. Pure white fur, with emerald eyes. Quite opposite of my midnight black coat and icy blue eyes.