6. Quick Lips

I looked up at Duke, terrified.
He sighed and rubbed his temples before turning back to the boys.

"How did it happen?" Duke demanded, staring at them.

Apparently during Ryde's discovery of my blood's ability, he'd managed to sneak a hand from the steel chains just before he turned back to himself. When out of sight from Seth and Riley he'd disappeared from the basements window. I was now in danger, life or death danger.

"We're leaving" Duke told me

"Can't we just stay here? I mean, Nobody is going to have the guts to come here and take me, especially with you and these two hanging around" I tried.
I didn't want to leave. I had just gotten used to being here. It was too much for me to deal with.

"They will have the guts. There are three of us, and by the time Ryde gets word out, there could be hundreds of them. It's a fight we can't win" He paced, thinking deeply

Riley then tried with Duke
"What if Ryde only tells a minute few. Think about it, he will want her all to himself, he's far too greedy to share"

"So we should be fine then? You can take Ryde and a couple others? Can't you?" I sounded desperate. And I suppose I was. A bunch of vampires now wanted to kill me.

Duke shook his head. "If we stay the danger is higher, they know where to find us, Ryde knows the house"

"But they won't expect us to even be here. Won't they expect you guys to move me? They'll think exactly what you are. They'll know you're going to stash me away" I interrupted

"She's right Duke. They know what you're like" Seth agreed, making me feel a little more confident.

Duke sighed and stopped pacing as he turned to face us

"Fine, but you're going to have to deal with being babysat. Someone will have to be with you at all times. Even when you sleep"

He was trying to psych me out of my idea

I narrowed my eyes, "Fine"
I wasn't giving up that easy.

"We are going to have to sort a schedule out" Duke spoke, this time towards the boys, who nodded.
Riley looked all too pleased.

"If I wasn't a vampire, and didn't have inhuman needs, I'd volunteer to do it 24/7" Riley winked

"Enough Riley" Duke snapped, seeming not so pleased with his remark.

It was decided that I was not allowed to be alone. Under any circumstance.
Ryde apparently had connections, connections which consisted of bad-guy vampires with extraordinary powers and abilities.
Duke seemed to think that they could sneak in and out without even being noticed within seconds. He had even set up more guards around his home, just in case.

I heavily sighed and threw myself on a living room sofa. Seth and Riley took off to run errands for Duke, so I was stuck here with him as he sat in his study on the other side of the room, his ear attached to a mobile phone.
His father, I assumed.

I wasn't sure what was supposed to happen from here on out.
Ryde would never stop trying to capture me, so what was I supposed to do? Stay here my entire life? Be afraid of leaving the house? I'd become a prisoner in Duke's home.

I sighed again, and rolled onto my side, facing the large fireplace on the main wall.
The home was probably the most beautiful I'd ever seen, it was perfect, and every room seemed to have its own personality.

I rolled back over onto my back, and rubbed my eyes. It was getting frustrating.

I closed my eyes and shifted uncomfortably. My fingers lightly traced the bandage over my neck. Surely it'd be healed by now. I kept my eyes closed and slowly began to peel the tape from the edges of my bandage, wincing at every pull.