Lesson 8: Opening a Story

Finding the perfect opening line/s for your novel can be tough. Trust me, I know from experience. The first few sentences in your novel have to reel the reader in. If the sentences don't satisfy, the person may click on a different story, yours long forgotten. 

Here are a few ways you can start your novel: 

1. 'It was,' 'it is,' and 'this is' are some ways of opening your novel. These lines are very flexible, because basically anything can go after them. Although, try to avoid cliches.

Example: This is the worst day of my life. 

2. Starting your story with the character's viewpoint on life or a certain situation, etc, is also very common. 

Example: What is the point of learning math?

3. Dialogue! If you look up 'starting a story with dialogue,' you will see that it's a very controversial topic. Most people say it's a no-no in writing, but I completely disagree. Starting a story with dialogue can throw the reader into the story instantly. Many authors, in fact, use this story opener. 

I hate to rant, but in writing, there should be no rules and limitations (except for grammar, punctuation, etc). Write what you want. No one is stopping you, only yourself. 

Example: "You're lying." 

4. Describing the scenery is a great story opener, and it's quite common, too. Many, many books start off this way, and it gives amazing imagery of where your book is taking place. 

Example: As the lush, green grass swayed in the wind, a farmer ploughed the land, the scorching sun beaming down on him. The birds melodic chirps rang in the air as they played a game of tag in the leaves of the tall oak tree. The farmer lifted his hat and squinted in the direction of the city. He sighed. Someday they will come, he thought, a shimmer of hope rising within him. 

5. Starting a story with 'i am' is also very popular. 

Example: I am a disgusting human being. 

6. Jumping right into the action is also another option. Make sure, however, that you are not throwing your reader right into the plot. Let the story develop first. 

Example: "Oh my god! Is that Miley Cyrus?" Kennedy squealed, running through the crowd to get a better look. 

7. Does your character have a memorable flashback? Start your story with that! Make sure that the transition from the flashback to present time is clear so your reader doesn't get lost or confused. 

Example: I was sitting on my favourite swing, staring into the forest. Its beauty captivated me. I began to sing a soft tune as I rocked back and forth, until I realized that it was raining. I stopped. The beautiful, serene forest now seemed threatening and dark. Suddenly, the peaceful, safe atmosphere disappeared, and fear replaced it. I looked in every direction, feeling as if something or someone was watching me. Coldness crept inside me, and I felt the urge to run. My legs weren't cooperating, however, and all I could do was take in a sharp, ragged breath. 

My head shot up and hit the backboard of the bed. My body was covered in a thick layer of sweat, yet I felt abnormally cold. I ran a hand through my knotty, tousled hair and stood up. For now, sleep was my enemy. 

———————

These are just a few ways you can open your novel, so if none of these satisfy you, browse the internet or come up with something yourself!