Chapter 2

Three days later, and I found myself standing on the curb of a nice suburban neighborhood. There was a long paved driveway that broke into two separate ones at the end. Kind of like the letter Y. Grace pointed to the house on the right.

"That's it. Nice, huh?" she asked.

I observed the house. It was white with light blue shutters and a matching blue roof. It had a wooden wrap-around porch painted white with flowers and vines wrapped around some of the pillars. In front of a glass double door in the center of the second floor was a small balcony. Off to the side of the balcony was a white trellis covered in pink and yellow roses and vivid green vines. The house looked like it belonged on a television about a perfect little family in their perfect little house with their perfect little neighborhood. I internally scoffed. My life was far from perfect.

"What now?" I asked.

"Now," Grace replied, "You meet your new family. I know this is all a bit fast for you, but try to be understanding. This really is a new beginning for you-a great opportunity. You'll see that soon. Until then, just try to be polite. All of your things should be unpacked by now. Call me if you need anything."

"Okay." Is all I could say. I watched as Grace got back into her car and reluctantly drove away, concern plastered all over her features. I found myself standing there stiffly instead of waving goodbye. Not that she even deserved one. How could she expect me to be okay with being ditched all the way across the country? New beginning? I thought. I don't need a fresh start. My life was fine the way it was. Sure, the divorce was hard on all of us, but it wasn't something we couldn't deal with.

I turned and walked up the long driveway and started down the part that branched off to the right. My footsteps were loud as I walked up the wooden steps. I rang the doorbell and prayed they wouldn't be home. I waited a few seconds, but then the door swung open. Standing in front of me was a nice looking blond lady with bright blue eyes and a perfect smile. A small white dog ran up to me and wagged its tail. He looked like the dog off of the Caesar dog food commercials. He was just too cute.

I picked him up. "Hey there cutie!" The dog barked and licked my cheek. I giggled and set him down. My new "mom" held her hand out to me.

"Hi! I'm Susan! Come on in!" I took her hand and let her lead me inside. I wasn't planning on being civil, but she had one of those faces that I could never be mean to. And she was kind enough to let me stay in her home. I looked around the foyer. The house was bright and open with lots of pastel colors. It looked comfortable and inviting. Down a hallway I could see a glass door that must've lead to the backyard. I could see the corner of a pool and a small garden but that was all.

I stood there awkwardly while Susan just smiled at me. She looked like she didn't quite know what to say. I guess this was new to her as well. It's not every day some kid gets dropped on your doorstep. At least in the movies they give you a baby, not a teenager some other person has already raised.

Finally, Susan cleared her throat. "Your social worker-,"

"Grace," I interrupted.

"Yes, Grace," Susan laughed nervously. "Well Grace filled me in on your... condition."