Week Forty-five

Week Forty-five.

First week on OB/NB. I'm assigned to NB (newborn) with my attending I talked about last week. It has not been as bad as I worried it might be, because we don't have to spend as much time together, but it has persisted. I'm also on rotation with a couple other residents who really are not all that fond of the OB rotation either. My take on it: I don't hate it, but I don't love it. And to commit to doing OB for life, you have to love it. I have been flattered by nurses and attendings asking me to join the OB track. It is a commitment to take on more OB responsibility, deliver more patients than required for a family doc and do an extra clinic for only OB patients. I really don't want to do more than I have to, as I don't love it. I don't want to be called in to deliver in the middle of the night more than I have to either. I did not go into OB. I went into Family medicine.

It does make me feel good when the nurses are happy to see me, and grateful I am on duty. It is a vote of confidence in my ability. It is a huge compliment, actually. Well, I'll have to see how it goes. This first week I am on newborn nursery, so I will only deliver babies if they havppen to arrive in the afternoon when I'm on call. Otherwise, I am going to be seeing new babies, and refining my circumcision techniques.