The Bet *Wrong Turn

Please read the Author's Note at the end ^.^

Happy Reading! (:

Chapter 24 *Wrong Turn*

~Sophia

“Parker,” I say hesitantly. “Are you gay?”

To my surprise, he laughs. I even assume that he’ll be mad. He’s laughing really loud, there are even tears flowing from his eyes.

“Parker,” I whisper fiercely. “Are you out of your mind?”

He ignores my question, and asks, “What’s gotten in to you to ask me that?”

“You said he’s cute,” I say defensively.

“Just because I said he’s cute doesn’t mean I like him.”

That’s the same thing Driana told me. They really have a lot of things in common.

“So why did you say that he’s cute?” I probe.

“Because I saw a lot of You’re cute on his paper, and I just wanted to tease you.”

“By?”

“By saying he’s cute,” he says obviously.

“I don’t get it,” I mutter.

“I thought you’re one of the girls who wrote those words.”

“I am not shallow,” I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

“I know,” he says bemusedly. “And for the record, I know what you wrote on his paper.”

“You do?” I ask doubtfully. How can he?

“Of course,” he says proudly.

“And that is?” I urge him to continue.

“A secret,” he says, grinning.

“Secret?” I repeat. “You just don’t know it.”

“I know it,” he insists. “I just don’t want to say it because someone might hear it.”

“Like who?” I ask, looking around me in bewilderment. I don’t see anyone familiar. Confuse, I turn to Parker.

“Never mind,” he says, slurping his cookies and cream shake.

I shake my head at him. He really is impossible! He’s just dodging the topic and I’m quite sure that he doesn’t know what I wrote on Draky’s paper. He just doesn’t want to admit it.

“How come you get to that conclusion?” Parker asks me.

“You said that there’s something new about you,” I say slowly. “So I thought you’re gay. I’m sorry I doubted your manhood.”

“Manhood?” He smirks. “A nice choice of word.”

“Shut up,” I mutter.

“How are your parents?” He asks, changing the subject.

And then I tell him everything that happened in the past few days. That my parents are still fighting and they wanted me to move out. And now I’m living in Andre’s house. Parker doesn’t interrupt to ask questions. I’m sure he’s saving them when I finish talking. I tell him that I don’t know what’s wrong with my family, everything, except about the bet.

I don’t know, but when I’m about to start talking about it, I suddenly pause. There’s an unseen force forbidding me to spill the secret. Creepy, I know.