08. The Living Nightmare

Start from the beginning

Reuben took the last step to the window and his eyes widened. Before him lay the most beautiful view he had ever seen. A narrow, fast-flowing river, winding its path between gentle wooded slopes. They formed a valley, the same valley he had ridden through earlier. The house he was in had to stand on a tall hill, maybe a mountain even, right in the middle of the valley.

Reuben's eyes traveled downwards and saw one, no, two great walls surrounding the house, with towers here and there, atop which fluttered banners showing a white flower on a blue background. There was also a gatehouse with a portcullis with guards on duty. Servants were hurrying about and men in armor were gathering in the courtyard in front of the house.

No, not “house.”

Reuben raised his hand and slowly caressed the thick stone wall beside the window. Not a house—a castle. The castle. Reuben's heartbeat quickened. The castle where the lord of these lands lived. The man who was responsible for exacting justice on people like thieves, murderers, and, oh yes, robber knights.

He had to get out of here or he was a dead man.

*~*~**~*~*

Ayla was collecting all she needed from the kitchen and the store room. Both Burchard and her maid, Dilli, insisted on following her around, trying to dissuade her all the while.

“Milady, it is simply not proper,” Burchard repeated his main argument for the twenty-seventh time.

“Would it be more proper for me to let him die?” she asked, taking a few medicinal plants from the cupboard and stuffing them into her bag.

“No, but...”

“And do you know anyone else with any medical experience around here but me?”

“Medical experience? You watched an old nun mixing brews while you were tutored at the convent! That's no medical experience.”

“It's better than what you have. Or did you, by any chance, spend three years of your youth at a convent, disguised as a girl?”

Burchard turned fiery red and growled: “No!”

Despite her distress, Ayla allowed herself a small smile. “Good. I would have been shocked by your morality, otherwise. Honestly, Burchard, Sister Priscilla taught me one or two things. I have to try and help him. No one else can.”

“It's still not proper,” Burchard murmured. “To treat his wounds you will have to see him without his... It's not proper.”

Beside him, Dilli, too shy to say a word, nodded vigorously, her brown curls bobbing up and down.

“Don't be silly, Burchard.” She sighed and looked around at all the plants to choose from. “Dilli, I'm going to need a little bit more time to get everything together. Why don't you see how he is?”

The young girl pondered this for a few moments. “Err... because he is a half-naked stranger?” she suggested.

“Dilli?”

“Yes, Milady?”

“That was a rhetorical question. Go and see how he is.”

The girl curtsied. “Yes, Milady.” She hurried off, out of the kitchen and down the stone corridor towards the room where they had brought the injured young man.

*~*~**~*~*

Reuben had not taken two steps towards the door when something occurred to him. If he were in the custody of the lord of these lands and all his crimes were known, they would have locked that door. So perhaps there was still hope. But if they did not know who he was, why take his armor and sword? It was very confusing.