One Final Call-5 First Call

Hello everyone!(: I want you all to know I appreciate you reading!(:  Uhm, look at my video on the side bar, and enjoy!

The siren of the police car made me unfreeze. As fast as my body could possibly go and as I collided with the police officer, I explained everything.

"My little brother was taken, and you need to find him because he has down syndrome and he's mad at me and I left him alone and-" The tears brim over and I feel Ryan next to me. "Do not touch me." I say in between my wails. 

The police man is looking at me and finally focusing. "How do you know he was taken, Ma'am?" 

I almost explode. "I heard him crying for help! I couldn't find him, and he was crying for help!" My crying is now loud gasps; uncontrollable and making me vulnerable.

"Ma'am calm down. Are you sure you didn't lose him in the crowd?" I nod because talking is now impossible. "Let's go around and look. What's your name?" He asks in a softer voice. I can't talk but I try.

"It's Jessica." Ryans voice breaks in. 

"Okay Jessica, I'm Officer Kinellar. Now what does your brother look like?" 

And we search. One hour goes by, nothing. Another and the place is cleared out. Ryan stays by my side the entire time. Eventually, I hear Moms voice next to me. "Honey, lets go home." Her voice is full of regret, sadness, and what I think to be suppressed anger.

I look up to her through my tears and whimper, "I'm sorry. I am- sorry!" As I throw my arms around her, the tears start again. She ruffles my hair and slowly sooths me. 

"We will find him." Her voice cracks, "We will."

"Mrs. Rampsi, I am sorry that this happened. We can't report him as missing until seven thirty tomrrow evening, though." Officer Kinellar gives us a look that shows agony. "We can tell all officers to be on the look for him, unofficially. I'll radio them." He turns to Mom. "Get the most recent picture you have of him. Write down his full name, current hair color, eye color, height, weight, and anything that is special about him. An identifying freckle or birthmarks are helpful. Also write down about ways to calm him down, as you said he suffers from down syndrome. And here," He takes a ticket out and begins writing on the back, "Is my cell phone, house phone, pager, and work extention." Mom takes it and holds it to her chest.

Mom croaks out a grateful thank you. Officer Kinellar takes her hand and squeezes it in a reasurring gesture. "You can call me at what ever time. I'm making this case my number one priority and I won't stop until I find Jacks." 

"Thank you Officer Kinellar. Come on Jessica, I'll take you home." Ryan takes my hand and leads me to his car.

"No, no, my car- it's here."

"Jessica you are in no condition to drive. I'll come back tomorrow and get it with someone. Okay?" 

I nodd, numb. I sit down in the passenger seat and Ryan lifts my feet into the car. As he shuts the door I feel myself slump into the seat. Why did I leave? What am I going to do? Where is he? I'm not going to be able to live with myself if he's- He isn't okay. Mom blames me, and I deserve it. There is dead silence the entire ride home. Ryan is smart enough to know I can't handle a conversation. The steady sound of the cars engine purrs and eventually I drift into an almost sleep. 

Ryan doesn't say anything to wake me up, he justs rubs my shoulder in a circular pattern. I keep the silence because we both know we're responsible for this. I just look up into his brown eyes, searching for answers. Before the tears bubble up, I notice the squad car in the driveway. My mind justs numbs a little further. In the tense and heavy silence, Ryan walks me to the door; guiding me by my waist. I almost curse myself when I feel the butterflies rush up. The loaded look we give each other says alot about today.