Just Fine Chapter 12

When class ended I lagged behind, gathering my things slowly. I hardly paid any attention to the math lesson today. When the room cleared out there was a knock at the door and I look up to see Kendal. I give a heavy sigh and slump back in my seat. Kendal gives a weak smile and sits in the desk next to me.

“Hey girl,” She says softly. I stay silent and stare at the equations on the board. Kendal sighs and nods her head. “Yes. I fucked up big time didn’t I?”

I shift my weight in my seat.

“I was angry with you Kira. Hurt.”

“YOU were hurt? I confided in you. I trusted you. I thought you were my friend. And you went and blew that all to shit. And you say you were angry and hurt? Fuck you!” I spat at Kendal, holding back painful tears. I couldn’t believe what I heard.

“Believe it or not I was. When you told me how you felt about this girl I was lost. First Jacob and now this girl. When I realized you would never feel that way about me, I got pissed.” Kendal was studying her hands. My anger turned into pure confusion. Kendal continued, “I told Jacob what you had told me in the library in hopes of getting you back. I know now that that was a dumbass idea and I still haven’t forgiven myself for it. I just want you to know that I’m happy for you Kira. She makes you happy and you love each other and that’s what’s important.”

Kendal stands and puts a hand on my back then leaves the room with her hands in her pocket. I sink down in my chair and let out a heavy breath.

====================================

“My best friend confessed her love for me today.”

“Oh oh oh! Is she hot?” I hit Riley in the arm and she laughs. “I don’t blame her. You are hard to resist.” Riley gives me a kiss.

We are at her place sprawled on the living room floor, our bodies marked here and there with yellow paint. When I arrived Riley had been painting the small house a vibrant yellow and I gave her a hand.

Riley nuzzles my nose, “How about we…get cleaned up? Maybe you can call your best friend…” I hit Riley harder and she bursts out in laughter. “OK OK. Me and you minus the friend. In the shower. Now.” We left a trail of clothes behind us as we raced to the bathroom.

When we finished showering Riley wraps her arms around me and her wet body is warm against mine. She starts to kiss my neck softly and it makes me weak at the knees. I close my eyes and lean back in her embrace enjoying the sensations she’s causing all over my body. Then my phone rings and I reluctantly leave Riley’s arms. “It may be important.” I say and Riley follows me to my phone. The caller I.D read Tish.

“H-H-ello?” I manage to get out as Riley runs her finger lightly down my back.

“Hey Kira, it’s Tish. Um, Coach was wondering if you’d be up to helping her out at practice today. She heard you were back.”

“Oh! Um…” I wasn’t sure I was ready to go back to the pool just yet. I cover the mouth of the phone and turn to look at Riley. “Coach wants me to come in for practice.”

“Go. It’ll be fine. I’ll come too. I’d love to see you in action.” Riley gives my cheek a kiss.

“Um, OK. Give me thirty minutes.” I say into the phone and hang up.

Riley has a mischievous smile on her face and she summons me to the bedroom with her finger.