Chp. 3

the clip on the side -> skip to 2:16. why? because it gives reminds me of a scene from my story. i just like it, i watched that movie and had an "OMG" moment, ya know? the only part that's important is when he pats the horse. note that it's a black horse. that makes it even better ;)

and the pic? they do NOT wear costumes like that in my story. nuh-uh. no. it's just a crossbowman on a horse. it's important. but NOT the costume! :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                          =3=

=Kaelyn=

          Grass went flying as I dug my hooves into the ground. My neck bobbed up and down in time with my pace. I breathed heavily, running uphill is never easy. As we reached the crest of the hill, Alex pulled tightly on the reigns, the discomfort of the bit in my mouth forcing me to a halt. Snorting in annoyance, I wiggled my tongue under the bit, still not quite used to it.

          The sight that awaited us at the bottom of the hill... Well it didn't surprise me. Being able to understand a bit of the horse language, I had already put the pieces together.

          Horse thieves. And cruel ones at that. There were four men on horses, whips in hand. They were herding roughly ten horses from a fenced in field they had obviously broken. Harsh words came out of their throats, and the cracks of their whips hitting the unfortunate hindquarters of an innocent horse echoed across the hills. Shrill whinnies and squeals pierced my ears, their pain being etched onto their bodies in long gashes.

          My body tensed, quivering with rage. I stomped my foot, and before I could charge down that hill, Alex patted my neck soothingly.

          "Shhh, it's ok girl. It's ok. We'll fix this." His voice was tight. I could tell he was also outraged at this abuse. He patted my neck comfortingly. We turned simultaneously as Henry and the prince reigned their horses next to us.

          Surprise filled the prince's eyes. Confusion plastered itself on Henry's face. The prince recovered from his shock first.

          "Those are the King's horses." He said, his voice deadly calm.

          That explains the fences! I should've known... I see them everyday!

          "I didn't know we were out this far," Henry mumbled.

          "We need to stop them! Those thieves need to be punished." Prince Philip drew his sword out. Sunlight reflected off the blade. Thunder neighed loudly. The commotion down the hill ceased as they recognized our presence.

          Way to go Thunder.

            "Dead or alive?" Alex also pulled his sword out. The grating noise of metal being withdrawn from it's sheath sent uneasy shivers down my spine. Nickering softly to express my discomfort, I brought my head around to look at him. His expression was stern, and he flicked his head to one side to toss his red hair away from his eyes. His blade curved slightly, and glinted in the sun.

            The prince's eyes never left the scene below us. The horse thieves began to pull out their weapons and started for the hill.

          "Preferably alive, however I trust your judgement." His eyes flickered over to us, then back again to the thieves. "Kill those who threaten the lives of any of the three of us." His face was solemn. "Henry, Alex, get ready."