Chapter 6 -- "Special circumstances"

Chapter 6.1

"One cell-phone, as promised," Christopher declared as we walked back into the bedroom, a smartphone held out expectantly, "Call your sister. Make any arrangements you need to make. Don't bother calling the police. We have a man at the local station."

"How reassuring," I muttered, begrudgingly accepting the device that lit up revealing a generic screen-saver. Brushing my thumb against the smooth surface, I made one last-ditch attempt of bargaining my way out, "And there's no way of me going home instead of staying here?"

"No," He repeated plainly.

"Brilliant," I sighed sarcastically, watching as he casually began pulling out a bunch of neatly folded towels from the American-style closet in the corner, "This is ridiculous. I mean, what do you suggest I do about my job?"

He placed them at the end of the bed, "We'll figure it out."

"Oh, will we now?" I laughed in disbelieving astonishment at his lack of a viable answer, "I guess I was worried for nothing then."

"I guess so," he muttered beneath his breath, refusing to meet my eye as he went to exit the room. I gawked at his audacity, tongue tied for a brief moment from the sheer cheek of it.

"... You're a dick. Anybody ever tell you that?" I eventually sputtered disbelieving.

"Oh, you have no idea," He answered honestly.

Childishly, I brought up a hand to mimic strangling the over-grown mutt as his back was turned. As stupid as it was, it did bring me a small amount of cathartic relief.

Pausing at the doorway to deliberate a thought, he eventually turned to face me.

I quickly dropped my chokehold, unconfident that he hadn't seen my antics.

Either way he was unfazed, either ignoring or missing it as his gaze turned genuine and he declared, "Listen, all I can do is apologize and try to keep you safe. I wish I had all the answers-- but I don't. And as selfish as it is do so, I've got to ask that you work with me on this until we figure everything out.

"We're working with a very short deck of cards here. The more you cooperate, the quicker we can send you home," He finished, watching for my reaction in earnest.

My entire body tensed as I instinctually took a deep breath in, his words grinding like nails against a chalkboard as he had the audacity to ask me to check my behaviour in a situation like this.

Hands twitching, I crossed my arms tightly as to not explode into my eighth rage-filled frenzy of the day. I bit my tongue hard as not to simply scream profanities in disgust, the strong urge to curse him out until he was reduced to a wheeping ball of tears rolling viscerally throughout my body.

But I was acutely aware that he could easily wrestle this phone out of my hand, and I didn't want to risk losing it.

All I could muster was to coldly retort through gritted teeth, "You're right. That is selfish."

Holding my attention for a tense moment longer, he sighed for the umpteenth time and nodded, running a hand through his unkempt hair before ducking defeatedly out of the room, "If you need anything else, let me know."

Briefly grateful to see him go, his prompt unfortunately triggered the need to extend the conversation as a sudden thought came to mind, "... Wait!"

His steps faltered, his back freezing as he took a split second to gather himself before turning back with a tense smile, "Yep?"

Placing one hand on my forehead and another the hip, I stared at the ground as I attempted to put my anger aside for a moment and set the terms for my stay, "If I'm going to stay here, I'll need some stuff to get me by."