19- S is for Surprise

"All ready?" asks Mum cheerfully as Ed tucks his hands in the pockets of his dark formal trousers and horizontal-stripe long-sleeve shirt. He looks very fancy- this isn't an ensemble he'd usually wear. In fact, I'm pretty sure the last time he wore anything remotely formal was to the Brit Awards in Feburaury. He didn't even bother dressing up for the Grammys, for crying out loud. But I suppose the first ever Star Music Awards is an occasion which desperately calls for a fancy outfit.

He looks particularly dashing, anyhow.

"Yeah, I'm ready," I grin back at Mum. She's wearing a long dark gown that makes her look slightly younger, though to be honest I think she's past the I-look-so-young stage. But her light touch of mascara and faint pink lipstick makes her look completely stunning. Beside her, Dad is stuffed into the ancient tuxedo he wore at an uncle's wedding years and years ago. He looks as if he's suffocating, if I'm truly honest, but he's trying so hard to look nice and I appreciate that.

"You look absolutely incredible, Taylor," comments Ed, seemingly awestruck. I giggle as the blush seeps into my cheeks. I'm wearing a long flowing silver dress with glistening embellishments around the beltline and a deep V-neck that dips down to a decent angle.

"Thanks love." I peck his cheek lightly and grip his bicep as we all glide out of the house together, heading to the limousine waiting outside.

Ed and I have been spending lots of time together now he lives next door to me here in Nashville, and we've decided we'll raise our family in my comfy little cottage. He plans to keep his house, in case our children want a house near us in the future, or just as a little place for visitors to possibly stay. Now as we slide into my limo together, our fingers laced together, I feel butterflies flap and flutter around in my stomach. I know there's absolutely no possibility of Ed and I beating Kimbra and Gotye with their huge hit. That song was like an explosion that left the entire world spinning. Now it's simply a part of life.

And Rihanna with Mikky Ekko, their song is still massive. Plus P!nk is a giant fan favourite, and Labrinth's song is so flawless that it could easily win. To me, our song is only one star in a billion galaxies of music, and it seems wildly unlikely for us to win.

But still, the Star Awards sound awesome, and I'm honoured to be nominated with Ed.

We click the limo door shut and the driver fires the engine up. The car releases a low rumble before easing away from the curb and roaring down the road. I squeeze his hand tight because if I'm truly honest, I believe there is a tiny trickle of hope for us to win. After all, our Swifties and Sheerios are so dedicated, their voting could possibly have lead us to victory... But I sincerely doubt it.

It's just fun knowing we're nominated for Best Duet at America's newest music awards show. Together.

"Excited?" Asks Dad cheerily as our limo hurtles down the road. He starts fiddling with the touchscreen on the wall and suddenly our duet is blaring out of the speakers, making Ed and I both blush scarlet. My parents laugh gently.

"You two are truly adorable together," comments Mum sweetly. She doesn't have anything against Sweeran now the tour is over- that was her main worry, and now she's fret-free. Dad is very happy with Ed too. When I told him about the engagement and my pregnancy last week he grinned and said "that's great. I've always thought of Ed like a son!"

"Thanks," I blush as Ed ruffles my hair lovingly.

"You are amazing," he whispers in my ear, and I smile up at him.

"You are more amazing," I murmur.

"No. We are amazing."

"Agreed."

"And we're gonna win."

"No, we're not, don't get your hopes up," I warn seriously. I don't want his feelings to be hurt when he loses.

"You always have a chance," comments Dad optimistically. "I agree, it's unlikely you'll win- no offence- but it's always worth a try."

"And it'll be fun!" Mum almost cheers as Ed hums along to our duet, booming out the speakers. He starts singing and we all carefully listen to his beautiful voice- he's completely oblivious to us all staring, his talent so incredible it hurts. Then I weave my voice around his and sing along. He turns his gaze to me, his hand stroking my cheek as if it's only us in the limo.

"I just wanna know you, know you, know you..."

A few minutes later the limo smoothly skids to a stop, and when I gaze out the dark tinted windows I see we are pulled up outside a majestic red carpet to the enormous awards venue. Screeching fans wave their arms around and wildly shriek as P!nk struts down the lane with Nate Ruess and the members of his band fun. They're both so talented, and I'm honoured to be competing against them.

Mum and Dad quickly march down the red carpet, knowing nobody wants photos of them, and then Ed steps out of the limo beaming at the screaming crowd. He chuckles and extends his hand to me. I enterlace our fingers together before slipping out of the limo and smiling at everybody who is here for us all tonight.

The limo glides away as Ed and I slowly walk down the red carpet, stopping and posing slightly for all the flashing cameras and the thunderous crowds. The snaps and clicks of photo flashes going off around us rings in my ears as we reach the end of the lane where Mum and Dad patiently wait. (Ed's parents and his brother were thankfully able to make it, but they said they didn't want a red carpet moment and promised to be waiting in the audience.) I toss my head back over my shoulder to see Selena (Gomez) sauntering down the red carpet, grinning at the fans. She's nominated for Best Superstar Personality tonight. I waggle my fingers at my best friend and blow her a kiss as she waves politely back.

"Good luck," I mouth as Ed marches me into the doors of the arena. Two burly bouncers glance directly at us, their expressions harsh, and I smile cheerfully at them.

"Er, three Swifts and one Sheeran."

They scan their list quickly and nod at us. "You're free to go," one says gruffly. "I understand there are two more Swifts to come?"

"Yeah. Austin Swift and his girlfriend Tammy," I explain. "Are the three other Sheerans in there already?"

"Yes," the other bouncer grunts. "You and the Sheerans are in row M from seat 13-22."

"Okay! Thanks," I bubble as I guide Ed, Mum and Dad inside the theatre. There are about three thousand seats here, I mentally calculate as we head over to row M- row 13.

"Pags seat 13!" I squeal as we rush to our seats. We squeeze down the aisle of our row, warmly greeting the stars we pass such as Carly Rae Jepsen (who's nominated for Best Breakthrough Act), Amy and Nick from Karmin (also nominated for Best Breakthrough Act) and in seats 11-12 Calvin Harris and his girlfriend, my good friend Ellie Goulding. They're nominated for Best Collaboration, since 'I Need Your Love' can't really be called a duet. I suppose that category is more for the world's DJs.

"Hey Calvin! And Ellie, how are you?" I gush as I slouch down in seat 13. Ed slumps down beside me beside his Mum- I wave a polite greeting to her, his Dad and his brother Matt (they're all very excited about our engagement too) as Mum and Dad take seats in 19-20, leaving 21-22 for Austin and his lovely girlfriend of ten months Tammy.

"Hi Taylor," grins Calvin, returning to indulging in his conversation with Nick from Karmin. Ellie beams at me.

"Taylor, Ed! How are you?" She asks curiously, her gorgeous accent laid on thick.

"Fabulous, thanks," jokes Ed. "I have this beauty here, don't I?"

I blush and peck his cheek lightly before returning to face a laughing Ellie.

"You guys are totally adorable together," she gushes sweetly. "Calvin is so animal-like! But it's kinda cute, I guess... He's lovely."

"You two are a cute couple too. Totally!" I giggle as Ed starts chatting to his parents beside me. Ellie and I indulge in friendly conversation for a while, and Austin arrives with Tammy five minutes before the lights dim and the stage bursts into colour. The audience gasps softly and our attention all snaps to the stage. A deep voice booms in our ears.

"Welcome to the first ever America's Star Music Awards! Here's your host, Reeeebeeeeel Wiiiilsoooon!"

"Hey look," whispers Ed in my ear gently. "Fat Amy. From the plane movie."

I giggle quietly as she saunters onstage, wearing a huge black woman's tuxedo and an enormous grin. I swear that girl has the best teeth in America.

"Hello there!" She yells into the mic, and even this makes the audience laugh. Maybe it's because of her awareness of her size that makes her jiggle jokingly around on the stage. Maybe it's her hilarious naturaul personality that seems to erupt around the room. Or maybe it's just because she's Rebel Wilson.

"Boy, have we got a show for you tonight! I'm going to be hosting the whole thing! Cos of course it's only perfect when I'm here," she shrugs. The audience all laughs and we clap politely.

"So first up, I'd just like to explain something to you all. Tonight we're gonna be trying something out- we're gonna be calling out random performers from the audience and they'll have to entertain us with a song! It's all right, I've got the back-up music sorted..." she grins cheesily at us all. "The Barden Bellas are gonna be helping out!"

I gasp and applaud crazily as the actresses from Pitch Perfect spill out onto the stage, grinning. Anna Kendrick... Brittany Snow... They surround Rebel Wilson, beaming at us all.

"Hi!" Squeals Anna into the mic. Rebel snatches it off her, pretending to be mad.

"Feck off, I'm the host," she pretends to growl, and all the crowd claps and cheers and laughs and I realize how perfect life is as Ed squeezes my hand tight.

"Now, first up how about we have a song from..." Rebel waves her finger around the room, pretends to stroke her imaginary beard, and then grins wickedly pointing to someone in the front row. "You! Come on up, girl!"

Ed and I chuckle heartily as a gasping Katy Perry stumbles onto the stage, staring at Rebel in surprise.

"W-what should I sing?" Katy stammers in bewilderment, and we all titter quietly. Rebel whispers quickly in Katy's ear and she nods in understanding before grabbing the mic from its holder and looking down at the ground.

Wow. I love her dress. It's like, a little sundress with a swirl of rainbow patterns and she's wearing these gorgeous sparkly sandals with the cutest daisy earrings.

All the acapella girls start singing and Taylor grins at the crowd, obviously loving the new back-up singers. She gives a breathtaking performance of her Teenage Dream hit 'Part Of Me', strutting about the stage and rocking out until the acapella girls finally finish. We all applaud wildly, and I find myself hoping I'll get picked, because the acapella thing would be a whole different experience.

"Thanks, Katy! You crushed it," winks Rebel as we all chuckle and Katy stumbles off the stage. The acapella girls quickly run off and then Rebel announces the first category.

"Right! Best Breakthrough Act!"

An hour passed. Nina (Nesbitt) won Best Breakthrough Act. Ne-yo performed with The Barden Bellas and Rebel playfully sabotaged his performance with her own solo. Carly Rae Jepsen won Best Breakthrough Album. Ellie and Calvin were awarded Best Collab. Bruno Mars won Album Of The Year. Demi Lovato sung Heart Attack with the acapella group. Awards were awarded, songs were sung, jokes were made. The big shock came when Rebel Wilson randomly selected Ed from the crowd to perform.

"Oh, sweet!" He hisses to me, and I wish him a gentle good luck before he slips away, staggering up onto the stage.

"Well this is aca-awesome," announces Ed into the mic. Everybody in the audience chuckles heartily and the acapella girls giggle as he keeps talking. "Who has ever felt personally victimized by Rebel Wilson?"

Many of the members in the audience jokingly raise their hands along with Ed, setting everyone off into fits of laughter. Finally the chuckling dies down and he makes one last comment.

"Well, this'll be weird... Performing without a guitar. Here goes," he shrugs. "This one's for you Taylor."

I clap a hand over my mouth and blush scarlet, completely amazed, as everybody turns to look at me. This has to be the cutest thing ever! Ed grins directly at me as I blush and the acapella girls start creating a soft, slow beat. Then Ed's flattering voice fills the room.

"Settle down with me... Cover me up, cuddle me in..."

I squirm in my seat, overwhelmed with love for him, struggling to hold in my excited screams. Mum glances over at me and laughs softly as I almost hyperventilate.

"Lie down with me and hold me in your arms... And your heart's against my chest, your lips pressed to my neck, I'm falling for your eyes but they don't know me yet, and with a feeling I'll forget I'm in love now..."

I start crying, my happy sobs an expression of how incredible this is. He sings the chorus and I nearly die.

"Kiss me like you wanna be loved, wanna be loved, wanna be loved... This feels like falling in love, falling in love, falling in love..."

He smiles directly at me and I think I have a spasm of fangirling. As if I'm his number one fan and he's the superstar poster boy I swear I'm in love with.

"Settle down with me and I'll be your safety, you'll be my lady, I was made to keep your body warm but I'm cold as the wind blows so hold me in your arms oh no... My heart's against your chest, your lips pressed to my neck, I'm falling for your eyes but they don't know me yet and with a feeling I'll forget I'm in love now..."

He sings the entire song just for me and then the crowd erupts into applause as tears stream down my face. I can't hold it in much longer. I sprint down the aisle and dart onstage, attacking Ed in an enormous bear hug. Laughing, he spins me around and around, his lips pressed hard against mine as the audience cheers.

Somewhere in the crowd I can hear someone say "The beautiful couple is beautiful!" And I like to think that it's John Green, sitting in the audience, cheering for us. Because that's just a nice thought to think.

"Alright, alright, some of us don't have partners we can make out with all the time," sighs Rebel into the mic with a grin. The crowd roars with laughter as I manage to tear away from Ed, keeping my fingers laced through his, and as if we are the only people in the world we almost skip back to our seats in a dazed romance to the cheers of the crowd.

We slouch back down as the audience's cheers die down, and return to watching the show with my hand in Ed's. We are pretty much in our own passionate, dizzying, perfect world as Tom Odell performs and Cher Lloyd sings her new single Riot and The Ready Set win an award for Best Upcoming Band/Group.

When our category arrives I feel a sudden wave of tension sweep over Ed and I. Our bodies stiffen with nerves and I see our families all freeze, anxiety also clutching them tight. In my ear Ellie hisses a soft good luck wish and I smile at her thankfully before returning my attention to Rebel on the stage.

"So! We're up at the Best Duet stage!" She declares cheerily. "Our nominees... Kimbra and Gotye, 'Somebody That I Used To Know!'"

The faces of Gotye and Kimbra grinning in the crowd flash onto the huge background screen, revealing their raw ambition to win. And they certainly deserve it- if we lose they should be the winners.

"Rihanna and Mikky Ekko- 'Stay'!" Rebel continues with a corny expression on her face. Rihanna and Mikky Ekko burst on screen- Mikky looks utterly overwhelmed with joy for simply being nominated, but Rihanna is seemingly attempting to look cool and is pouting moodily. She's not being a very good sport.

"Emelí Sandè and Labrinth- 'Beneath Your Beautiful'," Rebel goes on. She adds a little joke in that neither of us really notice because of the tension layered all through the air. The audience cracks up laughing and then she announces our duet.

"Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift- Everything Has Changed. Yeeeeah!" Rebel cheers, her voice rich and rumbly. "Tay-Tay Swift! T-Swizzle. The Swiftie..." The crowd chuckles and applauds as I blush, the faces of Ed and I splashed across the big screen. Ed waves chirpily and I lean my head to rest on his shoulder, a naturaul instinct.

"And last but not least, we have P!NK and Nate Ruess- 'Just Give Me A Reason'!" Rebel announces, adding another joke that makes the crowd roar with laughter. I choke out a chuckle and then squeeze Ed's hand again with hope.

"Now, the fans have voted for this one, and it was a toughie! Almost as tough as me," Rebel winks. The audience chuckles quietly and then she keeps talking.

"On twelve percent of the votes in fifth place is... Labrinth with Emelí Sandé, 'Beneath Your Beautiful'! You guys did awesome," she adds. "I'm still pissed off that me and the Bellas weren't nominated. I mean, we're a big group, but we were aca-awesome!"

Cue laughter, cue fake-happy picture of Emelí and Labrinth, cue fourth place announcement.

"And in fourth place with fifteen percent of the votes, we have Rihanna and Mikky Ekko- 'Stay'!" Declares Rebel. We all applaud until she declares third place, and I'm shaking with anticipation.

"Third place winners are... Kimbra and Gotye with 'Somebody That I Used To Know' on twenty percent!"

I gawp at Ed in complete shock. Holy crap. We bet 'Somebody That I Used To Know!'

"OH MY GOD," I gasp, staring at Ed in amazement. He gawps back at me, my shock reflected on his own face.

"Now, the runner-up for Best Duet at the Star Music Awards 2013, as voted by fans, is... P!NK and Nate Ruess with 'Just Give Me A Reason' on twenty-three percent!"

HOLY S**T.

"That means the winners are America's cutest couple, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift!" Yells Rebel as the crowd goes wild. I'm in tears as Ed and I dart on stage to receive the two dazzling star-shaped award Rebel holds out for us. They're both encrusted with glistening sapphires and have our names already engraved on them in dark thick letters. I wrap her in a huge hug and hear the audience laughing as I guess she's pulling a surprised face.

"Thank you so much!" I squeal before rushing back to Ed and kissing him full on the mouth. He stumbles back, reeling in shock for a moment before bouncing back and returning the kiss. Then I am forced to pull away and accept the shiny blue star awards. Ed takes his in astonishment, clearly in disbelief. I'm just taken aback. Sure, I have plenty of awards, but I never expected to win Best Duet with anyone, let alone with the love of my life.

"Speech?" Offers Rebel, stepping away from the mic for us. I grab it with my free hand and place my award on the table. Ed copies.

"Thank you to all my incredible Swifties and all the fantastic Sheerios who voted Ed and I to win. You're all so absolutely flawless and we can't possibly express our love for the dedication you give," I gush, overwhelmed with disbelief. This really has come as a crazy surprise.

"Yes, and I'm absolutely dead with shock right now," adds Ed seriously. "Me and Taylor are completely overwhelmed by this. But it's incredible!"

"So thank you all for this," I finish at last, beaming cheesily. "We love all our Swifties and Sheerios and say it all from the bottom of our hearts!"

The applause thunders in my ears as Ed sweeps me up in his arms and lifts me off the floor, crashing his lips against mine. We twirl around and around until we're both giddy and stagger back to collect our awards, blowing kisses dizzily to the cheering crowd. I've won so much... My amazing Swifties... The Star Music Award for Best Duet...

And Ed.

*