6. Secrets, Lies, and Guys (Picture Of Quil)

Chapter 6

•Secrets, Lies, and Guys•

"'Well' what?" prodded Bella.

"Uhhh... Paul had left his... jacket here and..."

"You Quileutes never wear jackets. You're always hot-skinned." She pressed a palm to Jacob's bare arm and pretended to jump back as though she were burned.

"You're just so funny," he teased.

"I am, and you need to tell me the truth," she said.

"Umm, okay, did I say jacket? I meant... uhhh..."

"Just shush! I know that Paul didn't forget anything. I can tell you're lying. What is up?" she begged.

"Listen," he said through gritted teeth, "I can't tell you." His newly developed anger issues were flaring up. "It's not my secret to tell!" He got up and stormed out of the room. Our dumbstruck teacher looked up.

"Where are you going, mister?" he called angrily from where he was standing. He turned to Bella when he didn't recieve an answer. "Where is he going?" he said quieter and quickly.

"Uhh, he... had his cell-phone in his pocket... and it started to ring... and it was his dad... and he picked it up... and he said... it was important and... he had to leave the room... so no one could hear the conversation?" tried Bella. Her voice getting higher-pitched as she neared the end of her lie.

"Okay. He's not technically one of my students, so I guess it's okay, because it's so important..." he said, believing the lie. It's something about English teachers that they're always oblivious...

"Uhh, can I go see if he's okay?" asked Bella nervously.

"Of course," he exclaimed.

Bella rushed out of the room and looked down both sides of the hallway. He was no where to be seen. So she took off to the left, running quickly, tears threatening at the coners of her heavily make-upped eyes. She was scared he'd leave her. She didn't know why, but she just knew it. If he left, she'd lose her best friend.

Her thought was suddenly interupted by running into someone. And that someone also happened to be running. That someone was also one of the people who was practically being stalked all day. That someone was Alice Cullen.

"Oh!" Alice said aloud. "I didn't see you coming!" She really didn't. Bella had been chasing after a doggy! It's not like she can see any of the messed up wolfey things.

"Sorry, my fault, I'm really clumsy," muttered Bella, who still hadn't looked up to see who she'd smashed into.

"No, it was mine, too." Even though, because of her human senses, it was mainly Bella's, but partially Alice's. If her mind hadn't been so preoccupied with Edward's sudden anger she would have paid attention to her bionic hearing.

Bella's eyes raised and met Alice's for the first time. Neither of them had quite realized who they'd run into until now.

"You're... Alice Cullen, right?" asked Bella.

"Yeah. And you're Bella Swan, correct?" asked Alice.

"Yeah. Sorry I ran into you, I was looking for someone and..." She was cut off.

"I was, too. Who were you looking for?" she wondered out loud.

"Jacob Black, you probably don't know him but..." She was cut off again.

"I'm quite familiar with the Blacks, thank you very much," she stated in her sing-song voice freshly.

"Well, who were you looking for then?" returned Bella.