Nine Boys...- Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One

    Huffing when I woke, I rolled over onto my stomach. I was still wolf and still felt in heat. I thought they said a few hours, not a day, that I would be in heat. It was morning so I shouldn't still be wanting, should I?

    I placed my jaw in between my hands and sulked. My brother stirred from his sleep and started to work his fingers through my hair. "Why are you still upset?" His voice held a frown in it.

    A sharp grunted whine came out as I huffed again. His hand stilled for a second as I think he was figuring out what was wrong. "You're still in heat?" I nodded the best I could against the mattress. "I'm sorry Nina. This must be so frustrating for you."

    He shifted and looked at me in my eyes. His hair was hanging over his face as he hovered over me. From this angle, he looked like he was upside down. "You want some ice cream? I can go get the tub that's just for you."

    I whimpered as that did sound good. My brother smiled as he kissed my snout and hopped up. It was so nice to have him as my brother. He knew how I felt all the time and could actually feel my emotions like I can his.

~~Derek's Point Of View~~

    Sitting in my office, I opened the journal from my father's things. There were actually two journals in the chest that my father had kept the royal things that our family had or he collected over time. This particular journal was the last queen's personal journal. I was hoping there was something about a royal female's heat in here.

    After an hour I found what I was looking for, but I didn't like what I found out. The queen talked about her daughter coming into her first heat. Apparently royals had suitors for their females for this time. The suitors weren't to actually have sex with the royal females, but do offer relief in another way.

    If a royal female isn't satisfied, their heat can last three whole days. In that time most had to stay away from the female as she becomes increasingly upset and easily set off. The queen's daughter had to bare her heat for two days. Two painfully long days before they found a more suitable suitor for her to help ease the physical need.

    I closed the journal and put my head in my hands. That wasn't what I was expecting, but what was I expecting? Nina is a full blooded wolf of the purest of lines. How could they not be like this? Wasn't it the human part of our psyches that sped up and diminished most wolf cravings?

    "Dad." I looked up as my eldest came in closing the door behind him. How could I break this kind of news to him? That he would have to keep his distance from his own mate for three whole days!

    He frowned taking a seat in one of the guest chairs. "You look worried. Has more rogues broken our borders again? I thought there were tighter patrols around."

    I shook my head. We do have a tighter patrol because of the three rogues who tried to break through just after Nina had arrived. They were some of the worst rogues I'd seen in a long time. Anthony had been one of the ones to encounter them. He nearly had been killed himself before the rogues were killed themselves. Now there were patrols in threes instead of the tows and they patrol closer together.

    "No my son. The territory is fine." I scrubbed my face. "I just should have read this sooner."

    He tilted his head to the side. "Read what?"

    I tossed him the journal and he opened it. "It's the last queen's journal. I was reading about a royal female's heat cycle." I sighed. "Looks like Nina may need help before she becomes a bit..." I winced. "Vicious."

    He frowned deeply. "But Nina is never vicious. She's kind and sweet." He smiled with his hand absentmindedly stroking the journal. "Perfect in every way. There would never be a time when she's vicious."