3. Mistakes Were Made

There’s a Jock In My Bed!

                                       Chapter 3 - "Mistakes Were Made"

                        Song of the Chapter: Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO           

12/28/13

Be advised. I am currently editing this chapter and, some things will appear in past tense and others in present. The writing style will be very different (i sucked back then, tbh) and grammatical errors abound until I am done. 

“If anything goes wrong call me, Evan.” Mom warned on the phone. It felt as though what she really wanted to say was 'Evan, something is going to go wrong so keep my number in hand for when someone sets the house on fire'. Which was all all kinds of insulting and just a pinch bit of the truth, because Me and Ev weren't exactly going to the images next to the definition of safety you'll see in Webster's. 

 She had left about an hour ago and is already checking to see if we’re alive.

“We’re okay mom, no one’s dead...” I left room and trailed off, because something in my head said 'yet' as some kid with a backwards hat walked passed me with a stack of folded chairs in his hands.

“Is everything okay Evan…Evan?”

I blinked and cleared my throat. “Yeah, Yeah everything’s…” Another kid walked passed with a picture of yellow fluid in his hands and before he could turn and exit through the sliding door, he looked at me and winked. "That better be lemonade…" I whispered, but too closely into the receiver and mom answered with a confused 'what?'

“Everything’s Peachy…” I chuckled, breaking my neck to see exactly what was going on outside in our backyard. I could hear the shouting and the yelling of instructions, but what they were saying was being buried by the paranoia in my head and Mom's constant repeating of my name.

“Alright Evan." She huffed, "Call me if you need anything or someone throws a wild party and destroys my home.” I choked. She laughed. 

“I’m kidding honey," She chuckled some more, "But seriously,” Her continued, tone falling into a monotone one, void of the cheeriness that was just there; it was obvious she was about to go into mother mode, “no parties…or else.”

Before I could even respond to ensure her that nothing of the party variety would be occurring tonight, someone tapped me on my shoulder, causing me to jump and nearly drop the receiver.

“Where are the glasses?” He asked loudly, either unaware or flat-out ignoring the fact that a phone was to my ear and someone was on the other line.

And sure enough, a gasped made it's way to my ear. "Who is that?”

“Um, a friend of mine?”

“Evan Harris.” The motherly tenor made its way back into her tone again. Picturing her with her hands on her hips and her tapping her the mouth of her shoes against the ground wasn't all that hard.  

“Don’t worry mom he’s just staying here for the time being to help me settle down.”

“Okay." She answered after a brief moment, I could tell a part of her didin't quite believe that story.  "Remember to call me if there are any problems.”