The Bet *Temptation

Happy Reading! (:

Chapter 21 *Temptation*

~Sophia

“Do you like Parker?” I ask Driana.

The substitute in Arts is from Parker’s university, and is a female, more or less twenty years old. She has a cute dimple on her chin, and can speak fluently in French. Her name is Chloe. She has an adorable voice when she talks and you can imagine her flying with the birds in the sky.

“Of course not,” Driana says finally.

“But you said that he’s cute,” I remind her.

She rolls her eyes and says, “Just because I said that he’s cute doesn’t mean that I like him.”

I nod my head slowly. This is the bad thing about assuming. You don’t—

“Why?” She asks, interrupting my thoughts. “Are you jealous?”

I scoff. “You know that he’s just like an old brother to me.”

“But can you resist him?” She says amusedly. “He looks amazing!”

A smirk makes its way into my mouth. “And she said she’s not interested.”

She frowns at me, not clearly affected by my words. “Really, I am not.” When she looks at my face, she adds, “I swear.”

Not wanting to argue with her, I decide to let the topic go. I don’t want her to be furious with me, considering she’s the only friend I have.

“Okay class,” Chloe says. “Get your paint and brushes in the supply room and draw something that inspires you.”

-----

Teach me how to sleep because I forget how to do it. I’ve been staring at the ceiling for a couple of minutes now since I lay on the bed. My mind is so busy thinking different things, it’s like it doesn’t want to rest.

It’s already eleven thirty in the evening!

I’m so tired. My eyes are drooping slowly but I have no peace of mind.  What will happen if I really forget how to sleep? Can someone teach me how to do it? What will happen to me then? Twenty four hours awake, with no sleep.

I put on my headphones and listen to Pachelbel’s Canon. When I want to calm myself, I usually listen to it, and it’s effective. But now, I don’t think so.

How to sleep? Can anybody sing me to sleep?

I miss my mom. When Matt and I were kids, she used to sing us lullabies until we fell asleep.

Sigh.

A lot has changed after the incident. I don’t even know my parents anymore. I don’t want to think what they are doing now.

I guess I’ll just count the sheep I see in my mind so that I can sleep. Researchers indicate that it’s quite effective. I’ll start now.

One red sheep. Two orange sheep.  Three yellow sheep. Four green sheep. Five blue sheep. Six indigo sheep. Seven violet sheep.

Wow! There are a lot of sheep in my head, and they’re the color of rainbow.

Instead of falling asleep, my mind is weirdly alert.

This is Parker’s entire fault! What did he mean when he said that He is cute? Who? He – as in Draky? But why would he tell me that he’s cute?