Chapter 1: Rejection

“This is it!” I tell myself in the mirror of the girl’s bathroom.

I straighten my top and adjust my skirt to make myself presentable. I know the skirt’s a tad on the shorter side, but I want to show off as much leg as I can with the new heels I bought with my friends this weekend. Normally, I’d just wear tight jeans, but I need to look my absolute best when I talk to Kale today. I have had my eyes on him for three years, but one of us always seemed to be dating somebody else. Not this time. We’re both single and I am determined to change that. So if I have to reveal a little more skin than usual, I will do it.

I comb my fingers through my dirty blonde hair to add volume and style to it. I quickly added some mascara to extend my eyelashes to an unnatural length—anything to make my brown eyes look good. Not all of us can be born with piecing blue or green eyes. I examine my self once more and turn on my heel to leave.

Shit. A sudden wave of nervous energy circulates through my blood. How am I going to do this? What am I going to say? Calm down, I mentally reassure myself, you’ve done this a million times before, you have nothing to worry about. My heels make a light clicking sound against the marble floor of my school hallway. On the way to Kale’s locker, I see my two close friends, Carly and Maddy.

“Hey girls!” I call over them, smiling.

“Hey, Liv!”

Carly whistles, pretending to check me out. “Don’t you look hot today?”

“Not everyday?” I mock confused, and wink.

Nothing like a little bit of joking to ease the tension and lighten the mood. Everything will be okay. With my two best friends behind me, nothing bad can happen. They have my back no matter what. I love my girls.

“Would you guys mind coming with me? I’m going to invite Kale to see a movie with me this weekend.”

“Of course we don’t!” Maddy promises. “I don’t want to miss out on that.”

“Great!” I cheer. “Let’s go now then.”

They follow me down the hall as I make my way to Kale’s locker. My two friends have my back and the eyes of some underclassman boys follow behind me. I smirk with confidence. I feel… Sexy.

Up ahead, I see Kale gathering a few books from his locker. Damn, does he look good. His dark brown, windblown hair just barely reaches his eyes, and his muscles are tanned and toned. His body’s slender, and he’s wearing a white v-neck shirt with a pair of dark jeans. He looks like he just stepped out of a beach-modeling magazine.

I exchange looks with Carly for assurance. She nods and smiles. I inhale deeply, letting the air fill my lungs before taking another step.

“Here goes nothing,” I whisper under my breath and take a step towards him