Chapter Six

Chapter Six

       Jessie had her arms wrapped tight around Veronica as they laid in the tiny bed in the cabin. As she woke up she felt that her arm was wet, she unwrapped it from around Veronica to stare at it.

            “Hmm?” She mumbles still trying to wake up as she rubs her fingertips through the clear liquid on her arm.

            She looks at her arm for a moment longer and thought it just to be water. As she closes her eyes again she feels Veronica tremble. She quickly sat up and looked at Veronica then she slowly rolled Veronica on her back staring in her eyes that were filled with tears.

            “What is it?” Jessie said blinking away the blurriness of her eyes.

            “It just hurts so bad…” Veronica Whines.

            “What… What hurts?” Jessie says wiping Veronica’s tears away and staring in her eyes confused.

            Veronica lifts up her shirt to reveal the big purple and red bruise on her ribs. Jessie gasps then takes her hand and slowly rubs it across her skin still noticing that there’s a cracking feeling under her fingertips.

            “It pains me just to look at it” Jessie says feeling guilty for not stopping the king. “We won’t move today…” Jessie says already making up her mind before Veronica gives her opinion.

            “But we must… My father’s men will find us.” Veronica says quietly.

            “They can’t find us here. We’ve covered our tracks and this is miles away from any village.” Jessie says trying to reassure Veronica.

            Veronica closes her eyes laying still and trying to breath threw the stabbing pain in her chest.

            “You think of me as a child don’t you?” Veronica says quietly.

            “What do you mean?” Jessie says as she gets dressed.

            “The way this pain leaves me helpless.” Veronica says frowning. “I’ve never seen you hurt…” She says looking into Jessie’s eyes.

            “But I have hurt before Veronica.” Jessie says as she slides on her shirt and buttons it up walking over and sitting on the bed. “It’s just physical pain doesn’t hurt as bad as the pain I feel when I lose something precious…”

            Jessie puts her hand on Veronica’s forehead and thinks to herself quietly.

            “What is it..?”

            “I’m going to get something to help you.” Jessie says feeling Veronicas burning hot head and knowing that’s not a good sign.