The Plan

Hours later the sun slowly started to rise above the CVS building. Everyone was still sleeping soundly in the car. I yawned loudly and stretched out my uptight shoulder and stiff legs. I unlocked the car doors and after scanning the area I hopped out of the SUV. I did another long satisfying stretch and moaned as my body loosened. After stretching I turned around and stepped backed into the SUV. I gently reached over to Ren’s side and opened the glove box. I grabbed my cigarettes and a lighter then shut it back. Before fully getting out I grabbed a pair of sunglasses and slid them onto my face. I quietly shut the driver door and climbed onto the hood of the car. I pulled my Baretta out of my scuffed up boots and set it beside me.

I sat smoking my cigarette as I watched the sunrise above Texas. I took a long drag and tried to relax as much as I could before the raid. Raids always got my nerves all coiled up and made me stressed out.

We had a very simple plan for getting the supplies we needed. First we would check the perimeter outside the building for Rabid’s and a way to get in. Once inside we would exterminate all the Rabid’s we encounter as quietly as we could. Then Ren would pull the car close to the entrance and while Ren guarded the car Della, Gracy, and I would gather all the supplies we need. Even though we’ve had some close calls and near death encounters the plan hasn’t failed us yet.

A loud bang came from my right and the car vibrated. In a matter of seconds my gun was in my hands and pointing straight at my target.

“Whoa, calm down there Lara Croft. It’s just me” said Ren as he held his hands up in surrender with a sleepy smile on his face. My back instantly relaxed along with my other muscles when I realized it was I saw that it was just my brother. I set my gun back down at my side and took another long drag of my cigarette to try and recollect my calm, relaxed demeanor.

“What have I told you about sneaking up on me” I told him while giving him a disapproving look. He knew better than to scare me. I could’ve just put a bullet straight through his brain.

“Well I thought you would’ve heard me when I opened the door and said ‘Good morning Cassandra’, but I guess I should start screaming since it looks like you might be losing your hearing” he said giving me a weird look.

“Sorry just lost in thought I guess” I mumbled looking away from him.

“You seem to be getting lost a lot lately” he said looking concerned. “Should I be worried?”

“No. I’m just fine” I sighed and sat up to where my knees were close to my chest. “I’ve just had a lot on my mind lately”.

“Care to share” Ren said as he hopped onto the hood to sit next to me.

“I don’t know. I’ve just been thinking about how things used to be, what things would’ve been like if the world hadn’t died out, what things are going to be like in the future, dad, mom……………” my voice slowly started trailing off. I just sighed again and put my cigarette out on my boots. I threw it to the ground and looked at Ren. He was looking at me with a small smile, but concern still clear in his green eyes.

“Oh Cass” he said semi-dramatically. “The world is very much alive. It’s thriving with the walking dead and four very persistent human beings who refuse to conform to their cannibal ways”.

A small smile appeared on my face and I chuckled. That’s Ren alright. Always knowing what to say.

With a smile still on my lips I grabbed my gun and slid off the car.

“I think it’s time to wake up the sleeping beauties and get this day going” I said.

I went around to the back seat doors and opened them. Gracy and Della were already awake. Della was putting Gracy’s hair into a high pony tail while she ate a granola bar and drank water from her Sippy cup.