Chapter 16 (original version)

We ended up walking a few miles away from the camp and into the woods to be on the safe side. The sun had started to set as we rolled out our sleeping bags onto the forest floor.

"What about the spiders?" I eyed Cody, feeling chills swim up my spine.

"You're not afraid of killing zombies," Cody said with a smile on his face. "But you're afraid of spiders?" He laughed and I heard Durbin and Rich chuckle behind me.

"Hey," I snapped turning my head to look at the two of them. I tried not to laugh. "Don't laugh at me. It's a serious phobia." I looked at Durbin who was laying out Aundrea's sleeping bag for her. "So how does it feel being sober Mr. Tough Guy?"

He brought his head up from his task to look at me. "Ain't so easy," He mumbled. "I've been trying to keep myself distracted."

"You know I'll never forgive you for everything you've done," I said hastily. "But you're more enjoyable to be around when you haven't been drinking." I heard Cody sigh next to me. "You don't talk as much."

"There's been a lot of things on mind," Durbin said looking away at the sleeping bag in front of him. "I sincerely apolo--"

"Save your breath," I said holding my hand out to stop him. I turned to Rich. "So tell me again why you didn't shoot him in the head?"

I felt Cody by my side, backing me up. Rich's eyes narrowed and looked between the two of us, worry in his eyes that Cody took up with me. "I done killed too many people in that war already," Rich said his eyes now piercing into mine. "I'm tired of seeing the faces of the people I've killed in my dreams at night. I don't want to add anymore to that list unless I have too." Durbin shifted uncomfortably. "Besides, I could ask you the same question. Why didn't you shoot him in the head? You had him point blank." Rich's voice hushed. "You even started to pull the trigger."

I was shocked at the sudden audacity of Rich. He had always acted so sweet towards me and I'd loved hearing his southern twang. But this new tone of voice and accusation made me tremble. I caught my breath and said strongly, "He whispered something when he thought he was going to die." I glanced to Durbin who had turned his gaze back on me. "What was it that you were saying?" My eyebrows raised wanting an answer.

"That's none of your business," Durbin said through a locked jaw.

"Oh yes it is," I said rising to my knees. "It's what saved your god damned life, so yeah, it is my business."

"Why do you think--"

"Spit it out Durbin," Cody interrupted, anger rising in his voice.

Durbin looked down deafeated. "I said, 'See you soon'."

"See you soon?" I asked. "See who soon?"

"Josie," Durbin kept his head down, not wanting to make eye contact with Rich or Cody.  "I was talking to Josie."

"How dare you even speak her name," Cody said, I saw his knuckles turning white at his sides. "My mother threw away her family on you and you didn't even care about her."

"I loved Josie," Durbin said. I thought I might have seen a tear forming in his eye, but before I could make sure, he blinked it away. "You know I didn't always used to be like this," He said his eyes pleading towards Cody. "Well, you never really talked to me, but I know that you knew I wasn't a drunk. I loved her, I still love her."

"I don't believe you," Cody said turning away from the conversation.

"Cody--"

"Durbin." Rich said. "I don't think either of us want to hear anymore about how you loved our Josie."

I felt red in the face at the awkwardness that hung in the air. It was quiet as I grabbed a can of chicken from my backpack and popped each individual piece into my mouth. Aundrea sat on her mat between Durbin and I eating tuna. She hadn't said a word since we were at the camp grounds. I reached up and ran my fingers through her hair, letting her know that I'm here for her.

When the sun went down a chill swept through the forest. It had been decided that I would take the first watch and the shotgun was placed in my hands. I sat up against a tree with my sleeping bag zipped up around me; the opening sat over my head like a hood. I'm sure I looked like some kind of giant caterpillar, but it was starting to get really cold.

Cody kissed me goodnight and laid down next to me draping his arm across my legs. I heard his breathing slow down and become rhythmic so I figured he was asleep. Aundrea laid on the other side of me, curled into a ball inside of her sleeping bag. Rich snored lightly on the other side of Cody. My eyes had slightly adjusted to the darkness now so I could see Durbin who was sitting on top of his sleeping bag with his arms around his legs.

"Can't sleep?" I whispered to him.

"First night without the liquor since Josie died," Durbin's scratchy voice broke through the darkness. "Don't think I'll be sleeping tonight."

"Oh, okay." I said wanting to end the conversation. He didn't speak again, but I could hear him breathing.

The crickets chirped in the background and I could hear leaves rustling as the wind blew. I tried to distract myself by trying to decipher every sound I heard, but curiosity won over.

"So why did you start drinking?" I asked quietly. Then I added in, "If you don't mind me asking."

"I couldn't really cope with Josie's death," Durbin said. I could hear the quiver in his voice as he tried to mask his emotion. "Drinking took the pain away. It made me numb and I was able to sleep at night." He turned his head to look at me. "If Cody died and you had something that could take away the pain, wouldn't you do it?"

I'd had my share of drinking and partying, especially the night before the infection. "Everything is so hazy when I'm drunk," I answered. "I can't think straight, see straight, nothing. If I were to drink all the time I wouldn't be able to remember him clearly. I'd want to look back on the time we had together, not try to forget."  Let him think about that, I thought to myself.

And with that we sat in silence, apart from all of the sounds of nature going on around us. Everytime I heard a twig snap I got antsy, but it was comforting to know that there was someone up listening with me. Even if it was Durbin.