Chapter 1- New Beginning

A cry of agony and helplessness filled the land, a cry that was not human, but a creature. As the sound advanced, the villagers grew worried and anxious. Was this Mortah’s doing? Meanwhile Shiloh slept soundly, blissfully unaware of the terror to come...

The next morning, the sun’s rays beamed through the glass stained windows and onto Shiloh’s bed, warming his skin. He awoke slowly and thought about what today would bring. With abrupt force, an impatient knocking sounded on the cottage door, Shiloh unwillingly slumped out of his bed. He trudged towards the window, taking a glimpse outside, the Kings messenger stood waiting anxiously, continuing  to knock on the door. Shiloh clutched the door handle and with a screech the door opened,

“I come to you with an urgent message from the King” the thin and scrawny man said in a high pitched voice, "You must meet King Edmund of Jevonia at his castle immediately!"

At a swift pace Shiloh made his way to the castle, only stopping to buy some bread from the local bakery in the Towns Square. Soon after he arrived at the huge, golden castle gates. Beyond the gates he could see the magnificent structure, towering high before him. The castle was sculpted out of bricks the shade of mahogany, contrasting with the wide glass windows that covered the exterior and the door and the broad entrance of the castle, its door frame outlined in gold. All around the castle were flower beds of assorted of tulips and roses.Two well-built guards protected the entrance,

"The password?" they grunted in unison, their rough manner reflected in their tone.

"I was instructed by the kings messenger to come here." he answered without hesitation.

The guards stepped aside, allowing him to pass. Inside the castle the walls were bright and vibrant, a hue of golden yellow. The walls of the hallway were lined with royal paintings, showcasing previous ancestors or rulers of the kingdom, dating back hundreds of years. At the end of the spacious hallway was a large open room, with a door slightly ajar- Shiloh entered. 

In the new room sat the King of Jevonia on his glorious throne, his sense of power flowed out of him. His hair was the distinct colour of ivory,emphasizing his old age. Honoured to be in the King's presence, Shiloh bowed down before him, but before his head could touch the white marble floor, the kings voice boomed with authority, "Get up boy!, There is no need for formalities." Shiloh stood up and looked into the knowing eyes of his great leader. The old man wore a lengthy silk gown that dropped to the floor, his eyes a dull pale green and his face, lined with worry. "You have been training for months preparing for your first task; it's now time..."

Meanwhile in the next room Celena, was listening intently to their conversation. Filled with curiosity she crept out of her room and tiptoed into the vast white hallway to hear more.“.....Last night the cry of the creature that was heard was not just any creature... it was a dragon. You must find that dragon and rescue it, I believe that Mortah has captured the creature, in order to reach Mortah’s lair you must cross dangerous lands.” He warned him “You must set off at once before it’s too late, tell no one of your quest, I do not want to frighten the villagers."

The wise old man handed Shiloh a map from his gown pocket, “Take this for your journey” Shiloh took the ancient map from the kings extended hand and walked towards the door. Celena realised that footsteps were rapidly approaching so she quickly hid behind the doorway, a male figure with short dark brown hair and warm chocolate coloured eyes, paced past her and out of the door. Filled with immediate excitement, Celena followed the stranger outside the castle and into the Whispering Forest unaware of the dangers that lay ahead.

 ---

The forest was scattered with shrubs and drooping trees. The weeping willows branches were like long curtains that swooped back and forth in the wind.The wind was making a strange and eerie sound like whispering in the breeze. The forest was inhabited with large overgrown vines that wrapped around the trees like boa constrictors, strangling their prey. Suddenly a shrub stirred behind him. Suspicious, Shiloh turned around and with caution, he crept towards the now still bushes. As he got closer Celena leaped out of the bushes. Shocked Shiloh stared at the girl, she wore a long white delicate gown and her eyes were sky blue, surely she belonged to an upper class to wear such fine clothing.

"Who are you and why are you following me?" Shiloh asked coldly.

Quick thinking, Celena decided to not tell this man her true identity, "My name is Gabriella, I was told by the king to join you on your journey" she answered him, attentively.

"You must be mistaken, for the king told me I was to travel alone" Shiloh said, suspicion lining his tone. 

"He changed his mind... he apologises for the last minute change of plans." she said hoping he would believe her lie. 

Silent in thought Shiloh concluded she must be saying the truth. "His apology is accepted" he said in return.

While Shiloh wasn't looking she breathed a sigh of relief. 

--- 

As dusk emerged the screeching of the whispering forest became a loud moaning. "We should get out of here before nightfall."Shiloh said as they ventured deeper into the forest.Birds swooped in the air above them, their wings flapping eagerly. Just as the sun disappeared from the sky Shiloh and Celena reached the end of the forest. “We should rest here” Shiloh insisted. Exhausted they rested under the bright full moon.