Chapter 2

By the time we finally pay and make our way out of the automatic sliding glass doors, it's pouring rain. Jayna and I end up waiting for nearly fifteen minutes before her brother, Josh, finally pulls into the parking lot, the hum of the loud diesel engine was deafening. I stare as he recklessly speeds through the vacant parking lot, taking a few tight right turns here and spinning donuts and illegal U turns wherever he decides before stopping abruptly around thirty or so meters away from where we stand.

"Typical!" I laugh, shaking my long blonde sopping wet curls out of my face. "So... Should we make a run for it?" I ask. Already knowing the answer, I brace myself for an easy win.

"Shot gun!" she yells from over her shoulder as she takes off running from under the shelter of the store canopy as fast as her slender frame would allow her.

"Oh, no you don't!" I scream in reply, my body already leaping into action as I pass her, quickly gaining speed. "I got first dib's!" Even in my heeled sandals, I still managed to beat her by a whopping fifteen meters.

I guess that's not really all that surprising considering the height difference between us, not to mention the fact that I used to run about a kilometer every morning.

Drenched, I wrench open the door to the shiny black BMW and slide inside, a warm blast of air caresses my cheek, my jaws are trembling as I lean back out of the truck and pull the swinging door closed. Josh reaches over from the steering wheel and turned the volume down of the hard rock that filled the void of his truck.

"Hey beautiful..." coos Josh, shooting me a sexy, flirtatious smile that normally, I'd never be able to resist. But today wasn't normal, today something is off. "Josh, there's something I need to talk to you about..," I lean back into the leathery interior of the seat as I try my best to brainstorm for a smart, snarky remark, but just as the words finally floated down onto my lips I was interrupted by the loud closing of the door behind me as it banged shut. A very soaked and breathless Jayna shuffles into the back seat, leaving sleek streaks of wet rain drops in her tracks.

"You know... I never... really... was that... great of a...runner..." huffed Jayna. Slowly, she pulls her seat belt over her thin body. Finally beginning to catch her breath, she finishes. "That was always your kind of thing Arianna." she looks thoughtful as she said this, but that expression is quickly replaced by one of what I think is pure knowing and excitement.

"Josh, you really need to stop hitting on my best friend when I'm around, I know you two are, like, 'madly in love' and whatnot, but you really need to learn some self-control!" she chastises, turning her head to shoot him an overly motherly look.

"Whatever are you talking about?" I ask her, imitating my best British accent, a teasing grin tugs at the edges of my lips. I forget about my earlier feeling of seriousness and decide to have some fun. Playing along with his usual flirtatious game, I run a hand through my damp, tangled hair and embellish a wink before adding: "Right back at ya handsome."

"EWWWWW! THAT'S TOTALLY GROSS! Arianna, stop hitting on my brother!" she screeches at me in a tone so high pitched, it forces me to press my hands protectively over my eardrums (Man, do I ever feel bad for dog's right about now!). Jayna sighs loudly before giving up on mothering us. She flops back against the seat in defeat, her blotchy white skin sticking to the interior.

"And love is a pretty strong word; I wouldn't use it so hastily." Josh shoots me a look overwhelmed with hurt at the comment I had just thrown, and a pinch of curiosity. I quickly evade his pressing look with my own question. "So... Do you know who you're going to go to the Valentines dance with yet?" I ask, changing the subject to one of more interest.

I had always loved dances, and Jayna's guy life was always of some interest to me. She was always jumping around from person to person, never truly satisfied with who they were or what they had to offer her.

"I don't really know yet..." she says, a puzzled look crosses her face as she stares into the distance, as if she hadn't thought of this before. "Colton asked me, but he's a total dork. Don't you agree? Oh, Kyle asked me to go with him too, but I only like him as a friend and I don't want him to get the wrong idea." she trails off, clearly confused as to who to choose. "Plus, he's your ex-boyfriend, and I really don't want to start anything with your..." she pauses for a moment before spitting out the word. "Leftovers."

I chuckle at the use of her word for Kyle. Though, I'm dating Josh, I still feel the sensation of hot shivers trailing down my spine and the floating feeling of my heart skipping one too many beats that I acquire whenever someone mentions Kyle.

We had been together for almost two years before we broke it off. Kyle had been more than just my boyfriend though; he had been my closest friend before we got together. We had been even closer than Jayna and I are now (which was definitely saying something). Kyle is one of the only people who know all of the details of my mother's murder, the only one that I could really talk to without being judged. But since I've met Josh, I never spend any time with Kyle anymore. Josh is too jealous and protective of me; he would get the wrong idea if I started hanging out with my ex again. Virtually, I roll my eyes: so much drama. My thoughts of Kyle are diminished as Jayna begins her rambling again.

"And then there's Eric, I guess he's kind of hot and he's really, really nice, probably one of the kindest guys at school... but I don't think he's really my kind of guy. John wants to know if I'll go with him, he's a DEFINATE no, what a weirdo! Oh my gawd! Eathen asked me too!" she made an irritated face before sucking in another breath. "I just CAN NOT believe that he actually had the guts to ask me, especially after that comment he made the other day. No way in fricken' way in hell would I ever go with that atrocious animal!" she declares furiously.

Josh and I exchange curious glances, "What comment?" I ask her, not recalling Eathen ever paying much attention at all to her in the past.

"What, are you for cereal? I didn't tell you?!" she asks, surprised. "I believe he said something to the effect of 'Hey J-jay, you know I've always thought you were a real babe, you wanna move that junk for me next week at the dance?'" She finished. I had to admit, she did a much better job at imitating him then I ever would have been able to. It was hilarious if you thought about it, and pretty accurate too considering the fact that she was a girl and could actually replicate a guy's voice, that was without doubt NOT good news on Eathan's behalf (hahaha, he deserves it!).

"Oh..." I gagged, trying my best to choke back my laughter. "Well, that wasn't very, ummm, gentleman like of him..."

By now, I'm barely able to hold back. I can feel my grip slipping away by the second, bit by bit. I can feel my self-control wavering, disintegrating, vanishing into thin air. After watching the look of raging furry on her face, I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. A series of uncontrollable chuckles and giggles escaped from my lips before I could contain them.

"I-I'm... sorry... I can't... h-help it!" I managed to gasp in between laugh attacks. I couldn't look at her, the way her perfectly plucked eyebrows were furrowed in frustration and how her well glossed lips were pursed as they always were when she becomes annoyed just made me laugh even harder (if that was even possible).

"Are you high or something?" Josh grinned, looking back over from the driver's side. I knew deep down in my heart that he was only kidding, merely teasing me, but something about that sentence made me stop dead in my tracks, right in the middle of another uncontrollable laughing fit. And suddenly, things weren't as funny as they had been.

****************************************************************************************************************

The next chapter gets much more interesing, plz keep on readin!!!!! I'm not much of a writer, i have a really low self confidence, so youre opinion is really important to me. I want to know what you guys think, and how i can improve. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plz vomment. (Vote and comment. :P)

Peace out,

Syrin. :)