Chapter Sixteen

Chloe fought the urge to scream, but in her haste to pull herself to her feet from her recumbent position floating, she misjudged the floor of the pool and slipped under the water, emerging with a splutter. A hand wrapped around her arm and she was almost lifted out of the water by Luke, who stood watching her intently. 

As she coughed and wiped the water from her eyes, Luke’s concern gave way to humour and he could barely fight the laughter that was rising in his throat. His father was stood beside him looking a little stunned, and convinced that Chloe was an intruder. 

                “You ok?” he finally asked her, tilting her chin to meet her eyes. When she nodded, he grinned, “I thought you were going back to Phil’s!”

                 “I was,” she hissed, “but I got really hot doing YOUR work, so I had a quick swim. It was so pleasant I relaxed for a bit...I must have fallen asleep!” 

Handing her a towel, he couldn’t stop grinning, “Looks like you will be meeting my parents after all.” Turning, he smiled at his father who was still looking confused, “Dad, this is my friend Chloe, Chloe this is my father, Spyros Petrakis.” 

Chloe moved towards the older man and shook his hand, “pleased to meet you Mr Petrakis, I’ve heard a lot about you.” 

There was a hint of suspicion as his eyes glanced between Luke and Chloe, but then he relaxed slightly and offered, “I wish I could say the same about you!” 

Chloe chuckled, pleased that the attention had been thrown back to Luke.           

                “Dad, I had no idea that Chloe was here, I would’ve warned you otherwise. Have your swim; I’ll take Chloe in to meet Mom. We can talk later.”

They’d not made it to the door when there was a splash that signified his father diving into the cool pool. In the kitchen stood a woman, obviously cooking.

               “Mom?” His mother turned then jumped in surprise to see someone else in the kitchen. “This is my friend Chloe; she fell asleep out the garden and scared Dad half to death! Chloe, this is my mother, Kassandra.”

                “Nice to meet you Mrs Petrakis!” Chloe once again offered her hand, despite her pleasantries, neither parent had been gushing in their greeting, but then she was a rather unannounced surprise, a bedraggled wet surprise. The older woman nodded her head, she was glamorous in a middle age Sex in the City kind of way, her black leggings and white top were both gold trimmed, then there was her matching shoes. Her hair and make-up were immaculate, a copper bob that tucked neatly under her chin with perfect light make up. Chloe had never looked that perfect in her life.

As Luke, aware of the slight awkwardness, tried to explain with as little fuss as possible how Chloe came to be asleep in the garden, a whirlwind appeared through the door from the hallway.

All three glanced at the commotion, and were rewarded with a young girl depositing a whole set of bedding - sheets, pillows and duvet on to the work surface.

                “Mama! It smells! I can’t have this on my bed.”

So this was the infamous Tiana Petrakis, the nineteen year old youngest sibling. Luke had warned her about the spoilt youngest child, and as Chloe studied her she was stunned, she was beyond beautiful, with her rich long chestnut hair, deep chocolate eyes and beautiful tanned complexion. But her beauty was shadowed by the grotesque scowl plastered across it.

Chloe could feel the tension in Luke as he took a deep breath, “Tiana! This is my house, if you have a problem don’t squeal to ‘Mama’, speak to me. It’s detergent. That’s all you can smell! That bedding was fresh on an hour ago. Grow up!”