Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Even though I made the choice to runaway, I wasn't being selfish about it.  It's either stay here and die or try to live.  That wasn't what scared me though.  It was the fact that if I didn't run, Luke would be stuck.  And I wanted what was best for him; he deserved it.

It was risky but if I was doing this, I knew well enough how upset Luke would be.  But it was for the best.  And that was what he needed to understand.

I was able to get back to my house as fast as I possibly could - it wasn't too far from the station.  I knew Clare was at work, Luke still trying to get Mark.... I had a large amount of time I knew. Just enough to get a few things and leave Luke a note. 

I got all the essentials I would need and threw them into a bag until it was crammed to the point where nothing else would fit.  Food, clothes, and money.  After that was covered in a short amount of time, I moved onto the thing I was anxious over the most: the note.  I loved this man so much, I just hope he understood after he reads this letter.

Dear Luke,

I've ran away from you enough times to know that you will try to come after me.  Because yes, Luke: I am leaving and running away even though I promised you I wouldn't.  But since I've promised you that, things have changed and for reason's you wont be able to understand, I must go.  And I ask with all that I have for you not to look for me.

I'm not good at this mushy-gushy shit but you need to know how much you mean to me.  You have helped me beyond anything I ever hoped from someone like you.  I'd be lying if I said this doesn't break my heart because it does.  I will miss you more than you know because you are the only one that really cares for me to the degree that you do.  I've never had a friend as true as you, as helpful and caring. Which is why I know how hard this will be for you.  You are in so much pain as it is, and especially now, this is the last thing you need.  But trust me: it's for the best.   Even more, no matter how much I wanted to help you bring Clare down, I can't.  My reason for leaving is more important.  Because soon, you will be free too.  You will find the evidence you need and I more than hope you will find the happiness you deserve later on. With a wife that isn't crazy and the possibility for a new start.  I really want that for you; with all my heart I know you deserve it. 

I need to tell you thank you.  For everything you have done for me to make my life better.  For showing me the life I could have had, for making me a better person.  I will never forget what you have done for me, what you have sacrificed, because you are the only person that ever has.  That's why this is hard; because I will never find a friend as beautiful as you are to me. 

Please don't think I wrote this letter to make you feel bad or for an unconscious way to tell you to come after me.  Because that is not the reason at all.  I wrote this letter because if I didn't, you would have tried to find me.  So I ask you, if you care, if you want what is best for the both of us, don't look for me.  I will be okay.  I promise.

Love, Albany

Surprisingly, it didn't take long to write.  Maybe because my hand was going so fast to keep up with my thoughts, maybe because I didn't need to think about what I had to write.  And now that I wrote it and had my things, it was time for me to go. 

I took the note I wrote for Luke and, with my bag over my shoulder, I walked out the front door.  I took a deep breath as I approached Luke's parked truck in the driveway.  I knew Clare never used his truck, would never go in there for any reason. 

I opened the driver's side door and quickly left the note on the seat of the truck.  I knew he would find the note soon enough and I just hoped he would forgive me.  I wanted him to understand.  And more than anything, I didn't want him to come after me.